serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos - PPP

This is a discussion on serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos - PPP ; hello, my name is brijesh i have an old lap to having a parallel and serial port. i want to use this port to ping ethernet ports for testing purposes could anyone kindly suggest me how do i achieve thgis ...

  1. serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos

    hello,
    my name is brijesh
    i have an old lap to having a parallel and serial port.
    i want to use this port to ping ethernet ports for testing purposes
    could anyone kindly suggest me how do i achieve thgis using dos
    programing.
    since the laptop is too old the configuration is restricted to :

    12mb ram
    30mb HDD
    1 serial port
    1 parallel port
    1 1.44" floppy drive

    i was able to install only MSDOS on it
    can you suggest what else is required for me that enables me to
    communicate to a ethernet port through the serial/parallel port?
    my need is only to ping ethernet port using the IP address of that
    port and check for any packet loss. so is there any simple program
    that runs on turbo c or on dos which i can use?

    waiting for the reply
    thatnk you
    regards
    brijesh s

  2. Re: serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos

    If your laptop has a 386 cpu, you can install Linux and use the
    parallel port as an ethernet device. You will network with another
    machine via parallel port. You should check out Parallel Line
    Interface Protocol http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PLIP.html. It gives you
    the detail regarding to DOS as well (using NCSA telnet).

    It maybe difficult to find a free PPP/SLIP stack for DOS if you want
    to use serial port. There are a lots if you install Windows 3.11.

    brijesh (brijesh@divinetaccess.com) wrote:
[...]

  3. Re: serial/parallel to ethernet communication through dos

    alyung@lucent.com (Alex Yung) writes:

[...]

    This is impossible. parallel or serial ports are different things from
    ethernet ports. It is like asking how do you land a ship at an airport.
    Airports do not handle ships. serial ports do not handle ethernet. They
    handle serial line protocol.

    Now the previous poster's comment may be fine IF what you want is to
    make and IP connection between two computers. (On serial line, ppp is
    the way to go or if you cannot fine ppp for dos, then SLIP). But IP is not ethernet.

+ Reply to Thread