LCP times out sending config requests - PPP

This is a discussion on LCP times out sending config requests - PPP ; My Linux machine can't establish a PPP connection to my ISP, AT&T Worldnet. I'm using pppd 2.4.1 on RedHat Linux 9 (kernel 2.4.20-6) with an external USRobotics Courier V.Everything modem. The modem and the ISP account information work successfully under ...

  1. LCP times out sending config requests

    My Linux machine can't establish a PPP connection to my ISP, AT&T
    Worldnet.

    I'm using pppd 2.4.1 on RedHat Linux 9 (kernel 2.4.20-6) with an
    external USRobotics Courier V.Everything modem.

    The modem and the ISP account information work successfully under
    Windows. But under Linux, I never get to the authentication phase;
    regardless of what configuration I use, pppd gives up with the (debug)
    message "LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests".

    I've followed Bill Unruh's helpful PPP tips (up through "immediate
    PPP") as well as the manual method described in the Linux PPP How-to.
    Using "immediate PPP", for example, after the modem dials and connects
    to the ISP, the pppd debug info shows:

    pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    pppd: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    localhost last message repeated 9 times
    pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

    If I use the How-to manual method, the result is the same although the
    magic number is different (0x6df858d).

    I built a crude serial line tap with output to a terminal window to
    see what's being sent and received by the modem. I don't understand
    the transmissions -- there's no readable text (except that when
    Windows is logging in, there's a plaintext hostname from AT&T and
    plaintext user ID and computer name from Windows; there are no legible
    prompts from the ISP). However, the Windows machine's data is
    consistent and the initial bytes are somewhat different from the Linux
    data.

    Thanks for any guidance --

    Greg

  2. Re: LCP times out sending config requests

    Greg Cooper wrote:
    > My Linux machine can't establish a PPP connection to my ISP, AT&T
    > Worldnet.

    > I'm using pppd 2.4.1 on RedHat Linux 9 (kernel 2.4.20-6) with an
    > external USRobotics Courier V.Everything modem.

    > pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    > pppd: sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > localhost last message repeated 9 times
    > pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

    This usually means that the peer isn't speaking PPP but is sitting at
    a prompt or menu. Often this is due to it receiving a carriage-return
    before PPP negotiations begin.

    Ending the chat script with

    CONNECT \\c

    which should prevent chat from sending a carriage-return. That's for a
    chat script on the chat command line. In a chat -f file `CONNECT \c'
    may be enough.

    If that doesn't help then add the chat option -v and post the chat
    log messages, including timestamps, along with an exact copy of the
    chat script.

    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
    RFC 1122 */

  3. Re: LCP times out sending config requests

    In article ,
    Greg Cooper wrote:
    >My Linux machine can't establish a PPP connection to my ISP, AT&T
    >Worldnet.

    The only thing I remember specifically about AT&T WorldNet is that they
    required CHAP for authentication (but that was some time ago!).

    >I'm using pppd 2.4.1 on RedHat Linux 9 (kernel 2.4.20-6) with an
    >external USRobotics Courier V.Everything modem.
    > : : :
    > : : :
    >I built a crude serial line tap with output to a terminal window to
    >see what's being sent and received by the modem. I don't understand
    >the transmissions -- there's no readable text (except that when
    >Windows is logging in, there's a plaintext hostname from AT&T and
    >plaintext user ID and computer name from Windows; there are no legible
    >prompts from the ISP). However, the Windows machine's data is
    >consistent and the initial bytes are somewhat different from the Linux
    >data.

    Show us the DATA! If you have the data for the Windows connection and the
    data for the Linux connection, post them both and let us take a look. The
    bytes won't look like anything special until you know what you're looking
    at. Post it here where plenty of people know what they're looking at! ;^)

    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====

  4. Re: LCP times out sending config requests

    Clifford Kite wrote in message news:...
    > Ending the chat script with
    >
    > CONNECT \\c
    >
    > which should prevent chat from sending a carriage-return. That's for a
    > chat script on the chat command line. In a chat -f file `CONNECT \c'
    > may be enough.

    Bingo -- that was it. Thanks.

    I changed the "immediate PPP" chat script I was using from
    "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATDT9999999 CONNECT '\d\c'"

    "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK ATDT9999999 CONNECT \\c"

    When I dialed up this time, the first LCP request sent by pppd
    received an immediate LCP ConfReq reply. A bunch of ConfRej, ConfReq
    and ConfAck messages were exchanged and then pppd hung up.

    The first ConfReq that was received included 'auth chap MD5', so at
    that point all I had to do was fix up /etc/ppp/chap-secrets and add
    the user option to the pppd command as outlined in
    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html. When I ran pppd again the
    connection and authentication succeeded.

    FWIW, no legible prompt was sent by the ISP when I dialed directly to
    it using Minicom during the initial troubleshooting, although it did
    respond with some data to each message pppd sent.

    Thanks for your help.

    Greg

+ Reply to Thread