Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions - PPP

This is a discussion on Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions - PPP ; Hi All, I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over satellite link. our setup is like this, PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific hardware will be ...

  1. Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    Hi All,

    I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    satellite link. our setup is like this,

    PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header

    I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    connections over the single High speed serial interface.?

    Thanks
    Vanitha

  2. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:

    ]Hi All,

    ]I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    ]satellite link. our setup is like this,

    ]PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    ]Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    ]hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    ]the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header

    ]I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    ]connections over the single High speed serial interface.?

    Why? Once you have a ppp link, you can then send stuff over it to as
    many machines as you want-- just do the routing properly. Why would you
    need many ppp sessions on that one link?
    Perhaps a bit more information would be useful for an answer.

  3. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    >
    > ]Hi All,
    >
    > ]I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    > ]satellite link. our setup is like this,
    >
    > ]PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    > ]Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    > ]hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    > ]the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header
    >
    > ]I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    > ]connections over the single High speed serial interface.?
    >
    > Why? Once you have a ppp link, you can then send stuff over it to as
    > many machines as you want-- just do the routing properly. Why would you
    > need many ppp sessions on that one link?
    > Perhaps a bit more information would be useful for an answer.

    If we have multiple ppp sessions, we can configure one session
    dedicated for voice and the other session dedicated for data. This is
    the reason for having multiple ppp sessions

  4. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    "Vanitha" wrote in message
    news:15faa2ac.0310052223.37eb8802@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    > satellite link. our setup is like this,
    >
    > PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    > Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    > hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    > the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header
    >
    > I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    > connections over the single High speed serial interface.?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Vanitha

    If I understand your question right, I think what you want is MLP.

    MLP - aggregate multiple links into a single big pipe - rfc1900
    -each link conforms to rfc1661

    Goodluck,
    frits

  5. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    "Germs Frits \(COMNEON\)" writes:

    ]"Vanitha" wrote in message
    ]news:15faa2ac.0310052223.37eb8802@posting.google.c om...
    ]> Hi All,
    ]>
    ]> I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    ]> satellite link. our setup is like this,
    ]>
    ]> PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    ]> Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    ]> hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    ]> the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header
    ]>
    ]> I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    ]> connections over the single High speed serial interface.?
    ]>
    ]> Thanks
    ]> Vanitha

    ]If I understand your question right, I think what you want is MLP.

    ]MLP - aggregate multiple links into a single big pipe - rfc1900

    No, I think he wants the opposite. He has a single physical link, a
    serial interface. On that single physical interface he wants multiple
    ppp sessions running. I have no idea why he wants to share this single
    physical link, with the accompanying overhead (his explanation that he
    wants one link "optimised" for voice, and one for data is obscure to
    me)but that seems to be what he wants. MPL takes the ppp on multiple
    physical layers and groups it together into one single effective ppp
    link with much higher bandwidth than any one layer.

  6. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca (Bill Unruh) wrote in message news:...
    > "Germs Frits \(COMNEON\)" writes:
    >

    > ]"Vanitha" wrote in message
    > ]news:15faa2ac.0310052223.37eb8802@posting.google.c om...
    > ]> Hi All,
    > ]>
    > ]> I want to open multiple ppp connections from my terminal, over
    > ]> satellite link. our setup is like this,
    > ]>
    > ]> PPP runs over High Speed Serial Interface. To the High
    > ]> Speed speed serial interface, the satellite specific
    > ]> hardware will be connected. The PPP packet will have
    > ]> the PPP payload -->(a proprietary header)-->HDLC Header
    > ]>
    > ]> I would like to know is it possible to open multiple PPP
    > ]> connections over the single High speed serial interface.?
    > ]>
    > ]> Thanks
    > ]> Vanitha
    >
    > ]If I understand your question right, I think what you want is MLP.
    >
    > ]MLP - aggregate multiple links into a single big pipe - rfc1900
    >
    > No, I think he wants the opposite. He has a single physical link, a
    > serial interface. On that single physical interface he wants multiple
    > ppp sessions running. I have no idea why he wants to share this single
    > physical link, with the accompanying overhead (his explanation that he
    > wants one link "optimised" for voice, and one for data is obscure to
    > me)but that seems to be what he wants. MPL takes the ppp on multiple
    > physical layers and groups it together into one single effective ppp
    > link with much higher bandwidth than any one layer.

    The reason i want to have separate ppp sessions for voice and data is
    that i dont want the voice packets (60 bytes) to be delayed over the
    low speed satellite link because of the large size data packets (1500
    bytes). I felt if there is a separate ppp session for data i can
    fragment the data packets and interleave between voice.

    Can anyone tell me what are the methods available to transfer voice
    and data over low speed links?

  7. Re: Establishing Mutiple PPP Sessions

    vanitha@agilis.st.com.sg (Vanitha) writes:
    > The reason i want to have separate ppp sessions for voice and data is
    > that i dont want the voice packets (60 bytes) to be delayed over the
    > low speed satellite link because of the large size data packets (1500
    > bytes). I felt if there is a separate ppp session for data i can
    > fragment the data packets and interleave between voice.

    What are the speeds involved here, and how do they relate to the
    one-way-trip time over the satellite?

    Anyway, yes, there are ways to do this. One way would be to use PPP
    over Frame Relay (RFC 1973), which just modifies the PPP header from a
    fixed for the address to a standard Frame Relay address.

    Another would be to use RFC 2686 multiclass extensions. (Believe it
    or not, the reference to multilink wasn't too far off the mark.)

    > Can anyone tell me what are the methods available to transfer voice
    > and data over low speed links?

    Many applications just throw buffering and bandwidth at the problem.
    :-/

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking