demand dialling + routing - PPP

This is a discussion on demand dialling + routing - PPP ; Hi there I am using ppp to connect to a VPN using the linux PPTP client. What I want to do is set up some custom routes over the *dummy* interface for a dial-on-demand link. Firstly, I have the demand ...

  1. demand dialling + routing

    Hi there

    I am using ppp to connect to a VPN using the linux PPTP client. What I
    want to do is set up some custom routes over the *dummy* interface for a
    dial-on-demand link.

    Firstly, I have the demand dialling itself working.

    Secondly, I know you can set up a default route on the dummy interface,
    but that's not what I need, and couldn't use it anyway since I already
    have a default route pointing out to the internet.

    Thirdly, the ip-up script is no use since it only runs after the *real*
    interface comes up.

    If there is any way to set up some custom routes over the dummy
    interface, let me know. If it's impossible, let me know!

    cheers
    Tim

  2. Re: demand dialling + routing

    Tim Hollingsworth wrote:

    > I am using ppp to connect to a VPN using the linux PPTP client.
    > What I want to do is set up some custom routes over the *dummy*
    > interface for a dial-on-demand link.

    Maybe I don't understand your problem, but why not just use route to
    set whatever routes you want just after the demand interface is first
    created? It seems to me that the PPP interface for the pppd demand
    mode is not a "dummy" interface for any meaningful definition of the
    word dummy.

  3. Re: demand dialling + routing

    Tim Hollingsworth writes:
    > I am using ppp to connect to a VPN using the linux PPTP client. What
    > I want to do is set up some custom routes over the *dummy* interface
    > for a dial-on-demand link.

    In the same place where you've invoked "pppd demand ...", add a line
    that says "route add ...".

    It'd be nice if there were a script hook available for this, but there
    isn't.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  4. Re: demand dialling + routing

    > In the same place where you've invoked "pppd demand ...", add a line
    > that says "route add ...".

    When I try that I get:

    SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

    and the route doesn't come up. I am assuming that the ppp interface
    hasn't come up in time.

  5. Re: demand dialling + routing

    Tim Hollingsworth writes:
    > > In the same place where you've invoked "pppd demand ...", add a line
    > > that says "route add ...".

    > When I try that I get:
    >
    > SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
    >
    > and the route doesn't come up. I am assuming that the ppp interface
    > hasn't come up in time.

    Which is why it'd be nice to have such a script hook. :-<

    Adding a sleep should hack around the problem. (Yes, sad, I know ..)

    ( sleep 1 ; /usr/sbin/route add ... ) &

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking