HELP FOR MY THESIS - IPSEC PERFORMANCE USING PCATTCP AND IPERF - PPP

This is a discussion on HELP FOR MY THESIS - IPSEC PERFORMANCE USING PCATTCP AND IPERF - PPP ; Hi to every body and excuse for my english... I have one question for you. To mesure the redution of trasmissive rate (Mbits/sec) consequence to enabling of IPSEC I had used 2 benchmarks: PCATTCP and IPERF. Using PCATTCP I had ...

  1. HELP FOR MY THESIS - IPSEC PERFORMANCE USING PCATTCP AND IPERF

    Hi to every body and excuse for my english...
    I have one question for you.
    To mesure the redution of trasmissive rate (Mbits/sec) consequence to
    enabling of IPSEC I had used 2 benchmarks: PCATTCP and IPERF.
    Using PCATTCP I had recognize a reduction of trasmitting rate igual to
    33 %.
    Using IPERF I had recognize a reduction of trasmitting rate igual to
    25%.

    Why? Are different the operation that these benchmark execute?!

    Thank you...

    Marco

  2. Re: HELP FOR MY THESIS - IPSEC PERFORMANCE USING PCATTCP AND IPERF

    tozzio@hotmail.com (Marco) writes:
    > Hi to every body and excuse for my english...
    > I have one question for you.
    > To mesure the redution of trasmissive rate (Mbits/sec) consequence to
    > enabling of IPSEC I had used 2 benchmarks: PCATTCP and IPERF.
    > Using PCATTCP I had recognize a reduction of trasmitting rate igual to
    > 33 %.
    > Using IPERF I had recognize a reduction of trasmitting rate igual to
    > 25%.
    >
    > Why? Are different the operation that these benchmark execute?!

    First of all, this isn't the right group for such a question. It's
    not related to PPP. Instead, you might want to try
    comp.protocols.tcp-ip.

    Secondly, you probably want to talk to the authors of those tools.
    You need to know exactly what the tool does and how it does it in
    order to understand what those performance results mean. Measuring
    performance in a meaningful way is a very difficult thing to do.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking