Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist? - PPP

This is a discussion on Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist? - PPP ; Hi everyone, I'm looking to update the PPP installation on one of my systems. Currently it has a genuine 2.3.11 package installed. I never upgraded to the early 2.4.x packages since they didn't work properly with Solaris 8 or 9. ...

  1. Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    Hi everyone,

    I'm looking to update the PPP installation on one of my systems. Currently
    it has a genuine 2.3.11 package installed. I never upgraded to the early
    2.4.x packages since they didn't work properly with Solaris 8 or 9.

    I know Sun now supplies a new PPP package with Solaris 9 which is basically
    Paul Mackerras's ANU PPP package totally revamped, but the machine in
    question is running Solaris 8 and needs to have PPP built from source.

    Is there any active 2.4.x development going on which is documented and
    controlled properly? 8-) If there is, where is the source archived?

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).

  2. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    Craig Ian Dewick wrote:

    > Is there any active 2.4.x development going on which is documented and
    > controlled properly? 8-) If there is, where is the source archived?

    There is active development by the maintainer, but I've never tried
    CVS and so can't answer "is documented and controlled properly
    (properly would be in the eye of the beholder anyway).

    As to the second, I understand that the CVS is accessible by

    cvs -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot login
    cvs -z5 -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot co ppp

    and the password should be cvs.

    There also seems to be an unpacked development version maintained in
    /pub/unpacked/ppp at ftp.samba.org.

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

  3. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    craig@lios.apana.org.au (Craig Ian Dewick) writes:
    > I know Sun now supplies a new PPP package with Solaris 9 which is basically
    > Paul Mackerras's ANU PPP package totally revamped, but the machine in
    > question is running Solaris 8 and needs to have PPP built from source.

    It's also in Solaris 8 in the 10/01 and later updates. You have to
    install these packages:

    SUNWpppd
    SUNWpppdu
    SUNWpppdr

    and for 64 bit systems:

    SUNWpppdx

    and for PPPoE support:

    SUNWpppdt

    > Is there any active 2.4.x development going on which is documented and
    > controlled properly? 8-) If there is, where is the source archived?

    Yes, it's actively maintained and in CVS. See:

    http://www.samba.org/samba/cvs.html

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  4. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    James Carlson writes:

    >craig@lios.apana.org.au (Craig Ian Dewick) writes:
    >> I know Sun now supplies a new PPP package with Solaris 9 which is basically
    >> Paul Mackerras's ANU PPP package totally revamped, but the machine in
    >> question is running Solaris 8 and needs to have PPP built from source.

    >It's also in Solaris 8 in the 10/01 and later updates. You have to
    >install these packages:

    > SUNWpppd
    > SUNWpppdu
    > SUNWpppdr

    >and for 64 bit systems:

    > SUNWpppdx

    >and for PPPoE support:

    > SUNWpppdt

    Ok thanks for that James. I knew you and Adi Masputra had merged and
    reworked all of Paul's PPP code into the new Solaris PPP package... The
    machine I need to use PPP on is currently running Solaris 8 with Magma Sbus
    serial port cards, so the open-source version of the package is better
    suited.

    The machine's getting replaced with a newer Sun box soon and it's running
    Sol 9, so the Solaris PPP packages will be used from the outset.

    >> Is there any active 2.4.x development going on which is documented and
    >> controlled properly? 8-) If there is, where is the source archived?

    >Yes, it's actively maintained and in CVS. See:

    > http://www.samba.org/samba/cvs.html

    Ok thanks for this too. I'll have a look later on.

    Craig.
    --
    Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
    APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).
    Always striving for a secure long-term future in an insecure short-term world
    Have you exported a crypto system today? Do your bit to undermine the NSA.

  5. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    craig@lios.apana.org.au (Craig Ian Dewick) writes:

    >machine I need to use PPP on is currently running Solaris 8 with Magma Sbus
    >serial port cards, so the open-source version of the package is better
    >suited.

    Why would you say that? Don't the Magma drivers create device
    files that support the termios controls?

    -Greg
    --
    Do NOT reply via e-mail.
    Reply in the newsgroup.

  6. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    James Carlson writes:
    > They do, and we specifically tested the PPP that shipped with Solaris
    > 8 on systems using Magma drivers.

    (That would be the Solaris 8 07/01 and later code; I don't personally
    know about the old asppp implementation, though I'd expect it would
    also work fine.)

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  7. Re: Locating source for current release of ANU PPP package? Does it exist?

    gerg@panix.com (Greg Andrews) writes:
    > craig@lios.apana.org.au (Craig Ian Dewick) writes:
    > >
    > >machine I need to use PPP on is currently running Solaris 8 with Magma Sbus
    > >serial port cards, so the open-source version of the package is better
    > >suited.
    > >

    > Why would you say that? Don't the Magma drivers create device
    > files that support the termios controls?

    They do, and we specifically tested the PPP that shipped with Solaris
    8 on systems using Magma drivers.

    I don't know why he'd say that, but we also took pains to make sure
    that you can still install and use the open source version if you
    don't particularly want support from Sun ...

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking