James Fitzsimons writes:

]Hi all,
]I am trying to get my laptop to connected via ppp and my GPRS phone. For those that are interested I am using Mandrake 9.1 and have an Ericsson R520m, and my service provider is vodafone in New Zealand.

]I am almost there, however I am getting the following error:

Whole bunch of problems. But why do you care that the remote address is
10.64.64.64 If it works, then fine.

I suspect your worse problem is that the ppp is not getting set to
default.
Remove the default route to your ethernet card.
route -del default befor you start ppp. (Unless you want your ethernet
to be the default rout in which case you have to set the route to
machines you want to communicate with on ppp in /etc/ppp/ip-up)

You also need to put
noauth
into your options file, and remove the accept-pap or +pap that you may
have in there.

]Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

](Complete log at end of message)

]I have checked with vodafone and on their website they state pap authentication with blank user and password. I read the pppd man pages and have the following in my pap-secrets:

]#client server secret IP addresses
]"" * ""

]I have spent hours on this but still no joy. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

]Thanks so much,
]James Fitzsimons

][root@Mandrake root]# pppd call gprs
]rAT
]OK
]ATH
]OK
]ATD*99***1#
]CONNECT
]Serial connection established.
]using channel 3
]Using interface ppp0
]Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/rfcomm0
]Looking for secret in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets for client Mandrake server (null)
]Got client
]Got client
]Looking for secret in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets for client Mandrake server (null)
]sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]

Why do you use oxa0000? Try asyncmap 0

]rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
]sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]

You reject pap negotiations, probably because you have an empty username
and password.
I cannot see in the log that this causes trouble. It probably should,
but does not seem to.

]rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
]rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
The other side does not seem to care about pap.

]sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
]sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
]sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]

Put noccp into /etc/ppp/options. You and they share no compressions.

]rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x4 80 fd 01 01 00 0c 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00]
]rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1]
]sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
]rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 ]
]sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
]rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2]
]sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2]
]rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 ]
]Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
]not replacing existing default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]

This is probably your biggest problem.

]local IP address 10.240.4.133
]remote IP address 10.64.64.64
]primary DNS address 202.20.93.10
]secondary DNS address 203.97.191.189
]Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 2096)
]Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 2096), status = 0x0
]Terminating on signal 2.
]Script /etc/ppp/ip-down started (pid 2098)
]sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
]Script /etc/ppp/ip-down finished (pid 2098), status = 0x0
]rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
]Connection terminated.
]Connect time 0.2 minutes.
]Sent 70 bytes, received 52 bytes.