HP-UX 10.20 and PPP - PPP

This is a discussion on HP-UX 10.20 and PPP - PPP ; Hello there, I am trying to connect a good old 712/80 with HP-UX 10.20 to the Internet using a modem (Motorola Premier 33.6) and a normal access provider ( ). Well ... I was a bit astonished yesterday when I ...

  1. HP-UX 10.20 and PPP

    Hello there,

    I am trying to connect a good old 712/80 with HP-UX 10.20 to the
    Internet using a modem (Motorola Premier 33.6) and a normal access
    provider ().

    Well ... I was a bit astonished yesterday when I noticed that there is
    no PPP stuff included in 10.20. But of course this isn't much of a
    reason to give up, so I looked around and saw on
    that there is (or at least was)
    some commercial PPP software (Morningstar PPP), which seems to be
    somehow difficult to obtain though, and an open-source alternative,
    IIJ-PPP. So I got the latter one, installed it, set it up and - it
    didn't work.

    I have now continued working on the problem and had quite some success
    in making it work partially, but there is still one thing that won't
    work: After initializing the modem, dialing and establishing the modem
    connection (which all works fine) the login process doesn't seem to
    succeed. The ppp.log file says something like this:

    | Wait for (10): ogin: --> ogin:
    | got: ~^?}#@!}!n} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&}(*!}!)}'}"})}"Ps~
    | can't get (10).

    If I understand this, my box doesn't get the login prompt from the
    server but some byte trash instead. Now I'm wondering whether this trash
    is sent by the server or whether the login prompt is converted into this
    somewhere on its way through the modem connection (which, however, seems
    to be somehow stable). Another interesting detail might be that the
    strange string always varies a bit and gets longer or shorter, but it
    seems to always begin with "~^?", contain many "}"s, and end by "~".

    Well ... where could I start now to make this stuff work?

    I have no idea whether the cause of this problem is related to HP-UX or
    to the PPP protocol, so I've cross-posted this to comp.sys.hp.hpux and
    comp.protocols.ppp and set the follow-up to cshh. Feel free to change
    the follow-up target if appropriate.

    --
    Lars Trebing | http://www.ltrebing.de/ | mailto:ltrebing@ltrebing.de

  2. Re: HP-UX 10.20 and PPP

    Lars Trebing wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I am trying to connect a good old 712/80 with HP-UX 10.20 to the
    > Internet using a modem (Motorola Premier 33.6) and a normal access
    > provider ().
    >
    > Well ... I was a bit astonished yesterday when I noticed that there is
    > no PPP stuff included in 10.20. But of course this isn't much of a
    > reason to give up, so I looked around and saw on
    > that there is (or at least was)
    > some commercial PPP software (Morningstar PPP), which seems to be
    > somehow difficult to obtain though, and an open-source alternative,
    > IIJ-PPP. So I got the latter one, installed it, set it up and - it
    > didn't work.
    >
    > I have now continued working on the problem and had quite some success
    > in making it work partially, but there is still one thing that won't
    > work: After initializing the modem, dialing and establishing the modem
    > connection (which all works fine) the login process doesn't seem to
    > succeed. The ppp.log file says something like this:
    >
    > | Wait for (10): ogin: --> ogin:
    > | got: ~^?}#@!}!n} }8}"}&} }*} } }#}$@#}%}&}(*!}!)}'}"})}"Ps~
    > | can't get (10).
    >
    > If I understand this, my box doesn't get the login prompt from the
    > server but some byte trash instead. Now I'm wondering whether this trash
    > is sent by the server or whether the login prompt is converted into this
    > somewhere on its way through the modem connection (which, however, seems
    > to be somehow stable). Another interesting detail might be that the
    > strange string always varies a bit and gets longer or shorter, but it
    > seems to always begin with "~^?", contain many "}"s, and end by "~".
    >
    > Well ... where could I start now to make this stuff work?
    >
    > I have no idea whether the cause of this problem is related to HP-UX or
    > to the PPP protocol, so I've cross-posted this to comp.sys.hp.hpux and
    > comp.protocols.ppp and set the follow-up to cshh. Feel free to change
    > the follow-up target if appropriate.

    I'm not conversant in HPUX and I've never used morningstar PPP, so now
    that you have confidence in my abilities, allow me to comment : )

    You didn't provide much info on the service provider and I don't speak
    or read French, but I'll bet what they are doing is straight PAP or CHAP
    and NO login chat. This is pretty common in the States where most
    providers serve Windows ppp clients. The "symptoms" are exactly what
    you see here, that is, no login prompt, just a rash of "garbage" coming
    through. The garbage, is actually PPP packets; they don't want to do
    the chat script, they just want to launch directly into PPP and have you
    authenticate via PAP or CHAP.

    Is there any info on the free.fr site on how to configure non-windows
    clients such as Linux? there may be a hint there. Otherwise, you may
    want to try setting up Morningstar for PAP, eliminating the chat script,
    and putting your login and password in the configuration as the PAP
    username and password. (If they are using CHAP, then the provider has
    to provide you with the proper CHAP username and password.) PAP setups
    that I run across typically use your "actual" username and password,
    i.e. whatever the provider issued you when you setup the account.

    HTH!

+ Reply to Thread