Re: GPRS "Could not determine remote IP address" - PPP

This is a discussion on Re: GPRS "Could not determine remote IP address" - PPP ; James Fitzsimons wrote: > I am trying to get my laptop to connected via ppp and my GPRS > phone. For those that are interested I am using Mandrake 9.1 and > have an Ericsson R520m, and my service provider ...

  1. Re: GPRS "Could not determine remote IP address"

    James Fitzsimons wrote:

    > I am trying to get my laptop to connected via ppp and my GPRS
    > phone. For those that are interested I am using Mandrake 9.1 and
    > have an Ericsson R520m, and my service provider is vodafone in
    > New Zealand.

    > I am almost there, however I am getting the following error:

    > Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64

    This shouldn't matter as long as the remote accepts it. But considering
    the remote assigned you a classful 10.0.0.0/8 IP address it might be
    safer to use, say, 192.168.200.1 by adding

    :192.168.200.1

    to the pppd options.

    > (Complete log at end of message)

    > I have checked with vodafone and on their website they state pap
    > authentication with blank user and password. I read the pppd man
    > pages and have the following in my pap-secrets:

    > #client server secret IP addresses
    > "" * ""

    You can try using a * instead of "" in the `client' field, but no
    guarantee in this case. From the pppd man pages:

    A "*" as the client or server name matches any name.

    The "" for the secret field should be okay.

    > I have spent hours on this but still no joy.

    Actually the log showed PPP negotiations completed despite some
    peculiarities (in particular the `sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]'
    which should have caused the peer to terminate PPP negotiations).

    Is the real problem that you can't access the Internet? If so then
    remove the (very likely) unnecessary default route to eth0 192.168.1.1
    and see if that does the trick.

    > I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

    In addition to the suggestions above, I'd also suggest that you limit
    your line-length to something like 72 columns when posting to usenet.

    /* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

  2. Re: GPRS "Could not determine remote IP address"

    James wrote:
    > Clifford Kite wrote in message
    >> Is the real problem that you can't access the Internet? If so then
    >> remove the (very likely) unnecessary default route to eth0 192.168.1.1
    >> and see if that does the trick.

    > Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original posting. Yes, the
    > problem is that although I am connected I can't ping anything. I am
    > guessing this is because my routing table has no meaningful address
    > for the default gateway.

    > I tried your suggestion of removing the eth0 192.168.1.1 route
    > (actually I just did an if-down eth0) but this didn't seem to help.

    It will make a difference when the current problem is solved, from
    your first post:

    not replacing existing default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]

    Which means there is no route to the Internet.

    /* The wealth of a nation is created by the productive labor of its
    * citizens. */

  3. Re: GPRS "Could not determine remote IP address"

    jamesf@intergen.co.nz (James) writes:

    ]Clifford Kite wrote in message news:...
    ]> James Fitzsimons wrote:
    ]>
    ]> > I am trying to get my laptop to connected via ppp and my GPRS
    ]> > phone. For those that are interested I am using Mandrake 9.1 and
    ]> > have an Ericsson R520m, and my service provider is vodafone in
    ]> > New Zealand.
    ]>
    ]> > I am almost there, however I am getting the following error:
    ]>
    ]> > Could not determine remote IP address: defaulting to 10.64.64.64
    ]>
    ]> This shouldn't matter as long as the remote accepts it. But considering
    ]> the remote assigned you a classful 10.0.0.0/8 IP address it might be
    ]> safer to use, say, 192.168.200.1 by adding
    ]>
    ]> :192.168.200.1
    ]>
    ]> to the pppd options.

    ]Firstly thanks very much for your suggestions. Just tried this, still
    ]no joy. Now it just uses this address as the remote IP address. The
    ]local IP address I am being assigned is still a 10.*.*.* though...

    No joy is a very unclear phrase. What gives you joy?

    ]>
    ]> > (Complete log at end of message)
    ]>
    ]> > I have checked with vodafone and on their website they state pap
    ]> > authentication with blank user and password. I read the pppd man
    ]> > pages and have the following in my pap-secrets:
    ]>
    ]> > #client server secret IP addresses
    ]> > "" * ""
    ]>
    ]> You can try using a * instead of "" in the `client' field, but no
    ]> guarantee in this case. From the pppd man pages:
    ]>
    ]> A "*" as the client or server name matches any name.
    ]>
    ]> The "" for the secret field should be okay.

    ]Altered my pap secrets file as above, now it no longer rejects the pap
    ]authentication, but this hasn't solved the problem.

    ]>
    ]> > I have spent hours on this but still no joy.
    ]>
    ]> Actually the log showed PPP negotiations completed despite some
    ]> peculiarities (in particular the `sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]'
    ]> which should have caused the peer to terminate PPP negotiations).
    ]>
    ]> Is the real problem that you can't access the Internet? If so then
    ]> remove the (very likely) unnecessary default route to eth0 192.168.1.1
    ]> and see if that does the trick.

    ]Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original posting. Yes, the
    ]problem is that although I am connected I can't ping anything. I am
    ]guessing this is because my routing table has no meaningful address
    ]for the default gateway.

    Remove the default route for eth0
    route -del default

    ]I tried your suggestion of removing the eth0 192.168.1.1 route
    ](actually I just did an if-down eth0) but this didn't seem to help.

    You MUST do this befor you run pppd.
    But, remove the default route. Do not do if-down eth0. do
    route -del default

    BEFORE running pppd.

+ Reply to Thread