Can ISP initiate a PPP conection? - PPP

This is a discussion on Can ISP initiate a PPP conection? - PPP ; Hi Everyone! Can ISP (Internet Service Provaider) initiate a PPP conection? For example: 1.. My PC has fixed ip-address and disconnected from ISP. 2.. Someone ho knows my ip sends ICMP echo on my ip. 3.. ISP receives ICMP echo ...

  1. Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    Hi Everyone!

    Can ISP (Internet Service Provaider) initiate a PPP conection?

    For example:

    1.. My PC has fixed ip-address and disconnected from ISP.
    2.. Someone ho knows my ip sends ICMP echo on my ip.
    3.. ISP receives ICMP echo and establish dial-up connection with my PC
    4.. My PC receives ICMP echo and send ICMP replay to Someone.
    5.. Connection establishes.
    6.. After inactivity time my PC disconnect from ISP.

    Is this example possible?

    Best regards,

    Denis

  2. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    "Denis Kosolapov" writes:
    > Can ISP (Internet Service Provaider) initiate a PPP conection?

    Sure.

    > For example:
    >
    > 1.. My PC has fixed ip-address and disconnected from ISP.
    > 2.. Someone ho knows my ip sends ICMP echo on my ip.
    > 3.. ISP receives ICMP echo and establish dial-up connection with my PC
    > 4.. My PC receives ICMP echo and send ICMP replay to Someone.
    > 5.. Connection establishes.
    > 6.. After inactivity time my PC disconnect from ISP.
    >

    > Is this example possible?

    Yes. Certainly, not all (or even many) ISPs will support such a
    thing, but the equipment they use generally does support demand
    dial-out.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  3. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    "James Carlson" ???????/???????? ? ????????
    ?????????: news:xoav65ksboh2.fsf@sun.com...
    > "Denis Kosolapov" writes:
    > > Can ISP (Internet Service Provaider) initiate a PPP conection?

    > Sure.
    >
    > > For example:
    > >
    > > 1.. My PC has fixed ip-address and disconnected from ISP.
    > > 2.. Someone ho knows my ip sends ICMP echo on my ip.
    > > 3.. ISP receives ICMP echo and establish dial-up connection with my PC
    > > 4.. My PC receives ICMP echo and send ICMP replay to Someone.
    > > 5.. Connection establishes.
    > > 6.. After inactivity time my PC disconnect from ISP.
    > >

    > > Is this example possible?

    > Yes. Certainly, not all (or even many) ISPs will support such a
    > thing, but the equipment they use generally does support demand
    > dial-out.

    James, thanks for you response.

    James, I take inaccuracy in item 5 i meen: PPP-Conection and item 5 must be
    befor item 4.

    And i have aditional questions:
    What is awaited actions from ISP to initiate PPP-connection with remote
    client which has not official IP address?

    Whether ISP initiates PPP as ordinary PPP-client or it has special sequence
    of actions to establish connection?

    It seems that ISP PPP after modems are connected should send special PPP
    messsage after that PPP-client should initiate ordinary connection
    procedure.

    Can you recomend some document(RFCs) conecting this situation?

  4. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    Thanks for you response.

    > Typically, for such a configuration, the ISP will have a network
    > interface -- with IP addresses already configured -- in the dial-out
    > system. This dial-out interface has no underlying serial connection.
    > When a packet arrives that is destined for that interface (the ICMP
    > Echo message in your original posting), the system detects that
    > there's no serial connection. It queues the packet, allocates a
    > serial port, and begins the dial-out procedure. This places a call to
    > your home system. PPP then negotiates. Once IPCP comes up, the queue
    > is drained through the newly-established serial interface.

    It is all clear up to "PPP then negotiates". After modem connection is
    established after ISP dial-out to remote client who initiates procedure of
    establishing PPP-connection ISP or remote client? If this is remote client
    then it is clear (sends LCP pcaket with options, authentication, IPCP
    packet). If ISP, what actions are required from ISP and remote client to
    establish PPP-connection?

    Best regards,

    Denis

  5. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    "Denis Kosolapov" writes:
    > It is all clear up to "PPP then negotiates". After modem connection is
    > established after ISP dial-out to remote client who initiates procedure of
    > establishing PPP-connection ISP or remote client?

    They're peers. See RFC 1661. They both start at the same time.

    > If this is remote client
    > then it is clear (sends LCP pcaket with options, authentication, IPCP
    > packet). If ISP, what actions are required from ISP and remote client to
    > establish PPP-connection?

    Nothing special. Both sides see the serial link go "Up" at about the
    same time. This causes the Up event to be delivered to the automaton
    as described in RFC 1661 section 4.1. This moves both sides from
    'Starting' to 'Req-Sent' states, and negotiation proceeds from there.

    PPP is symmetric. There's no "client" or "server." Both sides
    negotiate at the same time.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  6. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    Thanks for you response.

  7. Re: Can ISP initiate a PPP conection?

    "Denis Kosolapov" writes:

    ]Hi Everyone!

    ]Can ISP (Internet Service Provaider) initiate a PPP conection?

    Yes. Whether you allow it to is up to you.

    ]For example:

    ] 1.. My PC has fixed ip-address and disconnected from ISP.

    ] 2.. Someone ho knows my ip sends ICMP echo on my ip.

    And. Your machine is not connectred.

    ] 3.. ISP receives ICMP echo and establish dial-up connection with my PC

    HOw? You are the one who allows it. If you do not want it, do not allow
    it.

    ] 4.. My PC receives ICMP echo and send ICMP replay to Someone.

    ???

    ] 5.. Connection establishes.

    You said above that the dialup connection was established.

    ] 6.. After inactivity time my PC disconnect from ISP.

    ]Is this example possible?

    Do you want it to? If you do it is possible (except for the completely
    incomprehensible talk about ICMP)

    Now almost no ISP will dial you up to try to set up a connection.

+ Reply to Thread