Re: ppp over ethernet pap packets ignored - PPP

This is a discussion on Re: ppp over ethernet pap packets ignored - PPP ; Elias Enrique del Real writes: > I did pppd call dsl-provider debug logfile foo.txt to see what it was > doing. Please post the log file. > Basically, I send config request, and get one back, and the Verizon router ...

  1. Re: ppp over ethernet pap packets ignored

    Elias Enrique del Real writes:
    > I did pppd call dsl-provider debug logfile foo.txt to see what it was
    > doing.

    Please post the log file.

    > Basically, I send config request, and get one back, and the Verizon router
    > and I agree to use pap. But when I send PAP packets with my name and
    > password, I get no response. Incidentally, I get no response for LCP echo
    > requests either. However, as soon as I send an LCP packet to terminate the
    > connection, I get a reply instantly.

    That _could_ be a symptom of a bad username / password.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  2. Re: ppp over ethernet pap packets ignored

    Here's the slightly edited log file. The actual password and login I used
    were correct. If they were wrong, Verizon should be sending me packets
    indicating that. As it is, they just don't reply to my PAP packets,
    whether my login/pwd is right or wrong. I appreciate any light shed on
    this.

    -E.

    Serial connection established.
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 0x56d9bb5c>]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 0x56d9bb5c>]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x6de8e92b]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x2 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x3 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x4 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x5 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x6 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x7 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x1 magic=0x6de8e92b]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x8 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x9 user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    sent [PAP AuthReq id=0xa user="vze666is@verizon.net" password=]
    No response to PAP authenticate-requests
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to peer"]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Connection terminated.

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, James Carlson wrote:

    > Elias Enrique del Real writes:
    > > I did pppd call dsl-provider debug logfile foo.txt to see what it was
    > > doing.

    > Please post the log file.
    >
    > > Basically, I send config request, and get one back, and the Verizon router
    > > and I agree to use pap. But when I send PAP packets with my name and
    > > password, I get no response. Incidentally, I get no response for LCP echo
    > > requests either. However, as soon as I send an LCP packet to terminate the
    > > connection, I get a reply instantly.

    > That _could_ be a symptom of a bad username / password.
    >
    > --
    > James Carlson, Solaris Networking
    > Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive 71.234W Vox +1 781 442 2084
    > MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757 42.497N Fax +1 781 442 1677

  3. Re: ppp over ethernet pap packets ignored

    Elias Enrique del Real writes:
    > Here's the slightly edited log file. The actual password and login I used
    > were correct. If they were wrong, Verizon should be sending me packets
    > indicating that.

    You'd think so. That's not always the case, though.

    > sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1
    > ]
    > rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 > 0x56d9bb5c>]
    > sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 > 0x56d9bb5c>]

    Try adding "asyncmap 0xa0000" to your configuration. Yes, I know that
    PPPoE doesn't use ACCM at all. But your peer seems to be insisting on
    it, and it's using a value that makes me suspect that it has bugs.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking