ISP delay: login till ppp=up - PPP

This is a discussion on ISP delay: login till ppp=up - PPP ; I've observed this on several dial-up ISPs: when the load is high (busy), which I can estimate, based on the weather, time of day/week etc., there is a long delay between when the modem starts negotiating and when the last ...

  1. ISP delay: login till ppp=up

    I've observed this on several dial-up ISPs:
    when the load is high (busy), which I can estimate, based on the weather,
    time of day/week etc., there is a long delay between when the modem
    starts negotiating and when the last stage of the ppp is acheived/accepted.
    Some times my (non-linux) ppp implementation times out.

    I think that when the server is busy and queing clients, there should be
    'feed-back' to give the telco busy signal to clients. If not it's arrogant:
    like letting people in to wait at the restaurant when you know there
    won't be free tables for a long time.

    Are there facilities to avoid clients paying the entry fee [no busy barring]
    and yet not being able to get on the net ?

    -- Chris Glur.

  2. Re: ISP delay: login till ppp=up

    eas-lab@absamail.co.za writes:

    ]I've observed this on several dial-up ISPs:
    ]when the load is high (busy), which I can estimate, based on the weather,
    ]time of day/week etc., there is a long delay between when the modem
    ]starts negotiating and when the last stage of the ppp is acheived/accepted.
    ]Some times my (non-linux) ppp implementation times out.

    ]I think that when the server is busy and queing clients, there should be
    ]'feed-back' to give the telco busy signal to clients. If not it's arrogant:
    ]like letting people in to wait at the restaurant when you know there
    ]won't be free tables for a long time.

    ]Are there facilities to avoid clients paying the entry fee [no busy barring]
    ]and yet not being able to get on the net ?

    Until you have logged in they do not know who you are, so it would be
    hard to charge y ou.

    Complain to your ISP.
    (actually, the ISP should run out of phone lines befor their servers
    bogged down).

+ Reply to Thread