ppp & mgetty - PPP

This is a discussion on ppp & mgetty - PPP ; hi i have set up mgetty on red hat 6.1 - and it all worked first time. very impressive. problem now is that i am trying to set it up using red hat 7.3 and it is a disaster. i ...

  1. ppp & mgetty

    hi

    i have set up mgetty on red hat 6.1 - and it all worked first time.
    very impressive. problem now is that i am trying to set it up using
    red hat 7.3 and it is a disaster. i have set it up using the same
    mgetty.config, login.config. but it will not allow me to log in. i
    have read several articules about this and some talking about kernel
    modules for ppp. i have tried to add in the modules but to no avail.
    if i type insmod ppp - i get - no module found by that name(7.3).
    (6.1) finds them. can anyone shed some light on this. i don't really
    know what the problem is. in the log files there is no mention of
    ppp.
    Thanks in advance.
    Slan

    Allison Cooney

  2. Re: ppp & mgetty

    On 22 Jul 2003 04:45:37 -0700, Allison Cooney wrote:
    > hi
    >
    > i have set up mgetty on red hat 6.1 - and it all worked first time.
    > very impressive. problem now is that i am trying to set it up using
    > red hat 7.3 and it is a disaster. i have set it up using the same
    > mgetty.config, login.config. but it will not allow me to log in. i
    > have read several articules about this and some talking about kernel
    > modules for ppp. i have tried to add in the modules but to no avail.
    > if i type insmod ppp - i get - no module found by that name(7.3).
    > (6.1) finds them. can anyone shed some light on this. i don't really
    > know what the problem is. in the log files there is no mention of
    > ppp.
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Slan
    >
    > Allison Cooney

    In a nutshell, you need, I think, to set up ppp from scratch. Try man -k ppp.

    Take a look in /boot/config-you_present_kernel and grep ppp. It may be built
    into the kernel. It's actually pppd that you want, setting up the interface
    ppp0 when you or an app runs pon or the equivalent.

    Try

    #ifconfig -a
    or
    $/sbin/ifconfig -a

    after running pon.

    If you can connect to your ISP with a ppp connection, then it is there.

    /var/log/syslog will look something like this when your ppp connection is up:

    Jul 22 08:55:23 localhost chat[504]: Username/Login
    Jul 22 08:55:23 localhost chat[504]: -- got it
    Jul 22 08:55:23 localhost chat[504]: send (you@your.isp^M)
    Jul 22 08:55:23 localhost chat[504]: expect (word)
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost chat[504]: : you@your.isp^M
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost chat[504]: Password
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost chat[504]: -- got it
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost chat[504]: send (??????)
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost pppd[503]: Serial connection established.
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost pppd[503]: Using interface ppp0
    Jul 22 08:55:24 localhost pppd[503]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
    Jul 22 08:55:28 localhost pppd[503]: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
    Jul 22 08:55:28 localhost pppd[503]: local IP address 63.187.xxx.xxx
    Jul 22 08:55:28 localhost pppd[503]: remote IP address 63.xxx.xxx.xxx

    I hope I am understanding your challenge and this helps.

    Alan

    --
    For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam from your life
    with Password-Protected-Mailboxes. See the post

  3. Re: ppp & mgetty

    allison.cooney@quest.ie (Allison Cooney) writes:

    ]hi

    ]i have set up mgetty on red hat 6.1 - and it all worked first time.
    ]very impressive. problem now is that i am trying to set it up using
    ]red hat 7.3 and it is a disaster. i have set it up using the same
    ]mgetty.config, login.config. but it will not allow me to log in. i

    it?
    Is mgetty running? (ps -aux|grep mgetty)
    If not you need to set up /etc/inittab again.

    Does mgetty answer the phone? If not, then there is something wrong with
    your setup (eg the modem is set to autoanswer, which you should NOT do
    with mgetty. mgetty gets the RING notification from the modem and
    answers that.)
    If it does, look in /var/log/mgetty.ttyS0 file to see what is happening.
    (increase the debug level in /etc/mgetty*/mgetty.config for the ttyS0
    port.-- I assum ethe modem is on ttyS0)
    See what it is doing and what error messages you get.

    DO you have pppd?
    Try doing
    pppd
    on a command line. What happens (see
    www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html for ppp debugging)

    ppp is set up in REdhat 7.2. YOu do not need to do anything.

    ]have read several articules about this and some talking about kernel
    ]modules for ppp. i have tried to add in the modules but to no avail.
    ]if i type insmod ppp - i get - no module found by that name(7.3).
    ](6.1) finds them. can anyone shed some light on this. i don't really
    ]know what the problem is. in the log files there is no mention of
    ]ppp.
    ]Thanks in advance.
    ]Slan

    ]Allison Cooney

  4. Re: ppp & mgetty

    On 22 Jul 2003 22:24:20 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Alan Connor writes:
    >
    > ]In a nutshell, you need, I think, to set up ppp from scratch. Try man -k ppp.
    >
    > ??? Every major distribution has pppd set up in the kernel. It is like
    > saying to someone "Check that you have a linux kernel installed" when
    > they say they have trouble printing. Ie, ppp is a lowest denominator. IT
    > IS IN THE KERNEL. DO NOT RECOMPILE YOUR KERNEL. You will mess up much
    > more than you fix.

    ??? I did suggest that she check her config file in boot.

    May I suggest that YOU relaxe?

    I'm just trying to help and don't need some arrogant bozo coming out of the
    blue and putting me down to make himself look better.

    Got it?

    Alan

    --
    For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam from your life
    with Password-Protected-Mailboxes. See the post
    PPM1.b on comp.mail.misc.

  5. Re: ppp & mgetty

    On 22 Jul 2003 22:24:20 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > Alan Connor writes:
    >
    > ]In a nutshell, you need, I think, to set up ppp from scratch. Try man -k ppp.
    >
    > ??? Every major distribution has pppd set up in the kernel. It is like
    > saying to someone "Check that you have a linux kernel installed" when
    > they say they have trouble printing. Ie, ppp is a lowest denominator. IT
    > IS IN THE KERNEL. DO NOT RECOMPILE YOUR KERNEL. You will mess up much
    > more than you fix.

    Jeesh. I just re-read this thread.

    NO one said to re-build the kernel. Setting up ppp does NOT entail rebuilding
    the kernel. If you don't know THAT, then why do you pass yourself off as
    an expert?

    I would suggest that the op take YOUR advice with a spoonful of salt.

    Alan

    --
    For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam from your life
    with Password-Protected-Mailboxes. See the post
    PPM1.b on comp.mail.misc.

  6. Re: ppp & mgetty

    On 22 Jul 2003 22:21:55 GMT, Bill Unruh wrote:
    > allison.cooney@quest.ie (Allison Cooney) writes:
    >
    > ]hi
    >
    > ]i have set up mgetty on red hat 6.1 - and it all worked first time.

    Okay. I want to start over here. You DO seem to know what you are doing,
    more so than myself.

    So help the OP. Attacking me doesn't help Allison a bit, especially when that
    attack is based on something I didn't propose, namely re-building the kernel.

    It does no harm to take a second a see if ppp is built into the kernel or
    compiled as a module. Could be instructive.

    How do you know the OP hasn't ALREADY re-built the kernel and didn't accident-
    ally leave ppp out? The various 'broadband' protocols are much more popular
    these days and I can see someone leaving it out....I mean, it IS possible?
    Far stranger things have happenned...

    I apologize for my abreaction to your post and will just monitor here for
    the most part and hope I learn something.

    Alan

    --
    For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam from your life
    with Password-Protected-Mailboxes. See the post
    PPM1.b on comp.mail.misc.

+ Reply to Thread