Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE. - PPP

This is a discussion on Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE. - PPP ; Hi, I posted some time ago about getting my linux client to connect to my employers Windows2000 server using pppd. I got pppd version 2.4.2b3 from ftp.samba.org as suggested, but to get MPPE support into my kernel is proving somewhat ...

  1. Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE.

    Hi,

    I posted some time ago about getting my linux client to connect to my
    employers Windows2000 server using pppd.
    I got pppd version 2.4.2b3 from ftp.samba.org as suggested, but to get
    MPPE support into my kernel is proving somewhat tricky.
    First I had to upgrade my kernel to 2.4.19, and then patch the kernel
    using a patch specifically for 2.4.19. so far so good, however, I get the
    following message in my /var/log/messages:

    localhost: kernel: mppe_decomp_alloc: wrong options length: 22, expected:
    38

    I also get some text like:
    "MPPE required but not available in kernel".

    I have checked that the new option in the "make menuconfig" under
    "network devices" is properly selected - and the kernel compiles OK.

    Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

    Any help appreciated.

    Regards

    Nick
    --
    Nick Thomas

  2. Re: Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE.

    In article <20030715.234823.1476153275.6196@junk.com>, "Nick"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I posted some time ago about getting my linux client to connect to my
    > employers Windows2000 server using pppd. I got pppd version 2.4.2b3 from
    > ftp.samba.org as suggested, but to get MPPE support into my kernel is
    > proving somewhat tricky. First I had to upgrade my kernel to 2.4.19, and
    > then patch the kernel using a patch specifically for 2.4.19. so far so
    > good, however, I get the following message in my /var/log/messages:
    >
    > localhost: kernel: mppe_decomp_alloc: wrong options length: 22,
    > expected: 38
    >
    > I also get some text like:
    > "MPPE required but not available in kernel".
    >
    > I have checked that the new option in the "make menuconfig" under
    > "network devices" is properly selected - and the kernel compiles OK.
    >
    > Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Nick

    Well, some more work.
    I received some information that 2.4.18 kernel is a good one to try to
    patch. So I got the 2.4.187 kernel from kernel.org and installed it in
    the usual way.
    I then patched it uising the linux-2.4.16-openssl-0.9.6b-mppe.patch, and
    the patch installed without any problems.

    So, I now compiled the kernel with all the PPP options selecterd as "*"
    in "make menuconfig".

    However, I am still getting the following in /var/log/messages:

    modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-18
    MPPE required, but kernel has no support.

    I don't understand this, the ppp_generic.c was patched OK, and ppp_mppe.o
    is in my kernel tree - it must be in my kernel!!!

    Any more help appreciated.

    --
    Nick Thomas

  3. Re: Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE.

    Nick wrote:
    > In article <20030715.234823.1476153275.6196@junk.com>, "Nick"
    > wrote:

    > I received some information that 2.4.18 kernel is a good one to try to
    > patch. So I got the 2.4.187 kernel from kernel.org and installed it in
    > the usual way.
    > I then patched it uising the linux-2.4.16-openssl-0.9.6b-mppe.patch, and
    > the patch installed without any problems.

    > So, I now compiled the kernel with all the PPP options selecterd as "*"
    > in "make menuconfig".

    > However, I am still getting the following in /var/log/messages:

    > modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-18
    > MPPE required, but kernel has no support.

    > I don't understand this, the ppp_generic.c was patched OK, and ppp_mppe.o
    > is in my kernel tree - it must be in my kernel!!!

    Modprobe is looking for a module. Did you configure MPPE support as
    a module and do "make modules", "make modules_install", "depmod -a"?
    Have you tried adding

    alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe

    assuming that ppp_mppe.o is the MPPE module?

    Does "ls /lib/modules/2.4.18*/kernel/drivers/net" show anything that
    could be a MPPE module?

    /* I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    --Confucius, 551-479 BC */

  4. Re: Trying to get linux kernel to support MPPE.

    I'm trying the same thing.

    What I've figured out so far is that the kernel patches on
    planetmirror.com/pub/mppe are not in synch with the the ppp 2.4.2
    development. That patch file you mentioned is, I'm sure, from
    planetmirror. planetmirror is linked to off the
    pptpclient.sourceforge.net site.

    The planetmirror mppe people must be working with another version of ppp,
    perhaps a patched 2.4.1.

    Anyways, the pppd module MPPE support must match the support in the
    kernel.

    The ppp-2.4.2b3.tar.gz tarball is missing the linux mppe patchkit.
    That's probably why you went to planetmirror in the first place.

    If you get the latest ppp from cvs,
    cvs -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot login
    cvs -z5 -d server:cvs@pserver.samba.org:/cvsroot co ppp

    you'll get a ppp-2.4.2 with the linux/mppe patchkit.

    Perhaps the way to go is to use ppp-2.4.1 with the mppe patches (not
    built in to 2.4.1 is it?) and the patch from planetmirror.

    Am I right about this? I know the planetmirror stuff does not match with
    ppp 2.4.2. Which ppp does it match with? Does the pptp they use somehow
    not use ppp?

    hmmm.

    -rob

    In article <20030716.233807.1605908235.7864@junk.com>, "Nick"
    wrote:

    > In article <20030715.234823.1476153275.6196@junk.com>, "Nick"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I posted some time ago about getting my linux client to connect to my
    >> employers Windows2000 server using pppd. I got pppd version 2.4.2b3
    >> from ftp.samba.org as suggested, but to get MPPE support into my kernel
    >> is proving somewhat tricky. First I had to upgrade my kernel to 2.4.19,
    >> and then patch the kernel using a patch specifically for 2.4.19. so far
    >> so good, however, I get the following message in my /var/log/messages:
    >>
    >> localhost: kernel: mppe_decomp_alloc: wrong options length: 22,
    >> expected: 38
    >>
    >> I also get some text like:
    >> "MPPE required but not available in kernel".
    >>
    >> I have checked that the new option in the "make menuconfig" under
    >> "network devices" is properly selected - and the kernel compiles OK.
    >>
    >> Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Nick

    > Well, some more work.
    > I received some information that 2.4.18 kernel is a good one to try to
    > patch. So I got the 2.4.187 kernel from kernel.org and installed it in
    > the usual way.
    > I then patched it uising the linux-2.4.16-openssl-0.9.6b-mppe.patch, and
    > the patch installed without any problems.
    >
    > So, I now compiled the kernel with all the PPP options selecterd as "*"
    > in "make menuconfig".
    >
    > However, I am still getting the following in /var/log/messages:
    >
    > modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-18 MPPE required,
    > but kernel has no support.
    >
    > I don't understand this, the ppp_generic.c was patched OK, and
    > ppp_mppe.o is in my kernel tree - it must be in my kernel!!!
    >
    > Any more help appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread