IP problems - PPP

This is a discussion on IP problems - PPP ; hi, with my DOS PPP program (home grown), the connection process (e.g. LCP, PAP, IPCP) always goes well with my ISP, but most of the time IP packets get returned either in an untimely fashion or not at all (e.g. ...

  1. IP problems

    hi,
    with my DOS PPP program (home grown), the connection process (e.g.
    LCP, PAP, IPCP) always goes well with my ISP, but most of the time IP
    packets get returned either in an untimely fashion or not at all (e.g.
    ping request, DNS request). On rare occasions after the connection
    everything works seemlessly and I can pass TCP packets, I get reasonable
    response times and no glitches. I noticed the ISP trys hard to
    negotiate for LCP options 0, 17, and 19 ( 17 and 19 seem to be multilink
    options). Otherwise the LCP request going both directions is the
    standard options, with no magic number, and there are no surprises in
    the PAP or IPCP stages. I've tried it both with and without VJ
    compression enabled and there is no real difference. Other PPP programs
    available for DOS don't seem to work with my ISP at all (if they even
    connect they sometimes allow pings but rarely get a name server
    response).

    Do I need to support the extra LCP options? If so where would I find
    them documented? If not can anyone think of a reason the IP packets
    coming from the ISP would be problematic? I use the same ISP under
    windows(me) and don't have problems... speaking of which is there any
    way to get a dump of the transactions windows is doing with the ISP? I
    would love to see what it does...

    Thanks,

    David

  2. Re: IP problems

    In article <3F103A6B.33ED7478@bluegrass.net>,
    david lindauer wrote:
    >hi,
    > with my DOS PPP program (home grown), the connection process (e.g.
    >LCP, PAP, IPCP) always goes well with my ISP, but most of the time IP
    >packets get returned either in an untimely fashion or not at all (e.g.
    >ping request, DNS request). On rare occasions after the connection
    >everything works seemlessly and I can pass TCP packets, I get reasonable
    >response times and no glitches. I noticed the ISP trys hard to
    >negotiate for LCP options 0, 17, and 19 ( 17 and 19 seem to be multilink
    >options). Otherwise the LCP request going both directions is the
    >standard options, with no magic number, and there are no surprises in
    >the PAP or IPCP stages. I've tried it both with and without VJ
    >compression enabled and there is no real difference. Other PPP programs
    >available for DOS don't seem to work with my ISP at all (if they even
    >connect they sometimes allow pings but rarely get a name server
    >response).

    What other PPP programs for DOS have you tried? Have you compared the
    packets for your PPP versus other PPPs to see what might be different?

    >Do I need to support the extra LCP options? If so where would I find
    >them documented?

    No. Technically, you are not required to support any LCP options.

    >If not can anyone think of a reason the IP packets
    >coming from the ISP would be problematic?

    Can you dump the packets going back and forth? Are you seeing any CRC
    errors? Maybe the packets are coming back, but have an error so they don't
    make it back up to IP?

    >I use the same ISP under
    >windows(me) and don't have problems... speaking of which is there any
    >way to get a dump of the transactions windows is doing with the ISP? I
    >would love to see what it does...

    A trace of the packets of different PPP implementations is usally very
    helpful. I don't know of any specific tool that works with Windows ME,
    sorry.

    There are protocol analysis tools for PPP on the market. (see my .sig ;^)

    Patrick Klos Email: patrick@klos.com
    ===== Why do I keep getting "one time mailings" over and over again?!? =====

+ Reply to Thread