Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks - PPP

This is a discussion on Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks - PPP ; Hi, I'm trying to use pppd in a CDMA2k environment (CDMA2k uses MobileIP on top of PPP). The CDMA spec (3GPP2 P.S0001-B) requires that the PPP implementation does not send any address options during IPCP negotiation (note that it also ...

  1. Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks

    Hi,

    I'm trying to use pppd in a CDMA2k environment (CDMA2k uses MobileIP on
    top of PPP). The CDMA spec (3GPP2 P.S0001-B) requires that the PPP
    implementation does not send any address options during IPCP negotiation
    (note that it also forbids using RFC2290 MobileIP extensions for IPCP).

    Looking through the man pages and the code it looks like there is no way
    to stop pppd sending address options during IPCP. Using pppd 2.4.1.

    So two questions -- (1) Have I missed something? Is there an existing way
    to stop address messages being sent? (2) If not, I've written a two-line
    patch to ipcp.c that adds a parameter --no-addr-neg to do just this (it
    sets neg_addr in want and allow options to zero). Any chance I can get
    this accepted into the main pppd source code?

    Thanks,
    Antony

  2. Re: Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks

    Antony Edwards writes:
    > So two questions -- (1) Have I missed something?

    Yes. I don't think you're looking at the current CVS source.

    > Is there an existing way
    > to stop address messages being sent?

    Yes, at least with the current code. It's "ipcp-no-addresses
    ipcp-no-address".

    Send it to ppp-bugs@dp.samba.org.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking

  3. Re: Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks

    Antony Edwards wrote:

    > I'm trying to use pppd in a CDMA2k environment (CDMA2k uses MobileIP on
    > top of PPP). The CDMA spec (3GPP2 P.S0001-B) requires that the PPP
    > implementation does not send any address options during IPCP negotiation
    > (note that it also forbids using RFC2290 MobileIP extensions for IPCP).

    > Looking through the man pages and the code it looks like there is no way
    > to stop pppd sending address options during IPCP. Using pppd 2.4.1.

    > So two questions -- (1) Have I missed something? Is there an existing way

    Yes.

    > to stop address messages being sent? (2) If not, I've written a two-line

    Yes.

    > patch to ipcp.c that adds a parameter --no-addr-neg to do just this (it
    > sets neg_addr in want and allow options to zero). Any chance I can get
    > this accepted into the main pppd source code?

    No. Use the pppd noip option.

    -- Clifford Kite Email: "echo xvgr_yvahk-ccc@ri1.arg|rot13"
    /* Recipe for a unified PPP debug log file: Add the line
    " local2.*;*.=debug;*.=notice /var/log/ppp-debug.log "
    to /etc/syslog.conf, and do " kill -HUP `pidof syslogd` "
    so that syslogd rereads it. */

  4. Re: Stopping Address Options in IPCP in CDMA2k networks

    James Carlson wrote:
    > Antony Edwards writes:
    >> So two questions -- (1) Have I missed something?

    > Yes. I don't think you're looking at the current CVS source.

    >> Is there an existing way
    >> to stop address messages being sent?

    > Yes, at least with the current code. It's "ipcp-no-addresses
    > ipcp-no-address".

    Heh! I was careless in suggesting noip, that simply causes pppd to
    terminate the connection. But the options above are not in 2.4.1
    although they are in pppd 2.4.2b3 (but not in the man pages for it),
    available at ftp.samba.org in /pub/ppp.

    They seem to work for what he needs, with them that pppd version sends
    an empty IPCP request:

    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1]

    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
    RFC 1122 */

+ Reply to Thread