dial in server with a getty? - PPP

This is a discussion on dial in server with a getty? - PPP ; Hello, I have an embedded system running a cut down Linux with a 2.4.20 kernel. The system dials to an ISP every so often to ftp some data to smewhere. All this works fine. I now have a requirement to ...

  1. dial in server with a getty?

    Hello,

    I have an embedded system running a cut down Linux with a 2.4.20 kernel.
    The system dials to an ISP every so often to ftp some data to
    smewhere. All this works fine.
    I now have a requirement to allow people to dial in to the system to
    check the status of things and maybe get some files via ftp. (The system
    is running small ftp & web severs.) I have agetty on the system but my
    understanding is that using this to allow dialin access will prevent me
    from dialing out. Is this correct?

    What I really want to know is how to enable dialin access without getty
    ( ie using just ppp & chat). Is this possible?

    Thanks in advance.

    Robert Hibberdine

  2. Re: dial in server with a getty?

    Bob Hibberdine wrote:

    > I have agetty on the system but my
    > understanding is that using this to allow dialin access will prevent me
    > from dialing out. Is this correct?

    For agetty, it probably is correct. The mgetty program is the one to
    use for dial-in since, when properly set up, it allows both dial-in and
    dial-out on the same line, albeit not simultaneously.

    You might get a more detailed answer on a more appropriate forum, e.g.,
    comp.os.linux.networking.

    > What I really want to know is how to enable dialin access without getty
    > ( ie using just ppp & chat). Is this possible?

    Perhaps possible, but likely not worth the effort. I don't see any
    easy way to do it. Mgetty can answer calls, with pppd started in
    various ways, and still coexist with pppd call-outs. Of course it
    does take more resources, e.g., memory, and with an embedded system
    resources are likely scarce.

    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
    RFC 1122 */

+ Reply to Thread