PPP behind NAT's - PPP

This is a discussion on PPP behind NAT's - PPP ; Hey pple i am behind a institute lan and working behind Proxies..... i want to know why is it that PPP networks fail to establish and can there be some ways to get past them.... i have heard that HTTP ...

  1. PPP behind NAT's

    Hey pple i am behind a institute lan and working behind Proxies..... i
    want to know why is it that PPP networks fail to establish and can
    there be some ways to get past them.... i have heard that HTTP
    Tunnelling etc. But didnt get any supporting docs..... please treat me
    like a novice.... References are most welcomed!!

  2. Re: PPP behind NAT's

    snktagarwal@gmail.com writes:
    > Hey pple i am behind a institute lan and working behind Proxies..... i
    > want to know why is it that PPP networks fail to establish

    I don't think that question makes sense in the abstract; there are too
    many ways for something to fail.

    If you have some particular error, post your configuration and log
    messages.

    > and can
    > there be some ways to get past them.... i have heard that HTTP
    > Tunnelling etc. But didnt get any supporting docs..... please treat me
    > like a novice.... References are most welcomed!!

    If you have some cooperating external site, you might be able to use
    something like "httptunnel" to establish a PPP link tunneled over HTTP
    (yecch!) to that external site. The external site will need to run a
    peer PPP implementation (likely as a CGI script). Use "google" to
    find that utility and examples.

    However, if you do this, you'll almost certainly be in violation of
    your local site's usage policies. Otherwise, if they wanted you to
    have unfiltered access to the Internet, then why'd they hide you
    behind an HTTP proxy?

    I can't say I could ever recommend doing this.

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking
    Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084