PPP Protocol Development From Scratch - PPP

This is a discussion on PPP Protocol Development From Scratch - PPP ; Hi All, I wanted to develop PPP Protocol From Scratch just for hobby. Dont ask me "why reinvent wheel" . I am crazy for netowkring so wanted to explore more on protocol development. I request any of one here to ...

  1. PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    Hi All,

    I wanted to develop PPP Protocol From Scratch just for hobby. Dont ask
    me "why reinvent wheel" .

    I am crazy for netowkring so wanted to explore more on protocol
    development.

    I request any of one here to help regarding how to go about or just
    give me pdf/doc that explains a bit for development.

    Waiting for +ve response

    Thanks a lot.

    -
    Mahesh

  2. Re: PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2008 21:59:35 -0700 (PDT), Mahesh wrote:

    > I wanted to develop PPP Protocol From Scratch just for hobby. Dont ask
    > me "why reinvent wheel" .
    >
    > I am crazy for netowkring so wanted to explore more on protocol
    > development.
    >
    > I request any of one here to help regarding how to go about or just
    > give me pdf/doc that explains a bit for development.

    The protocol and extensions are described in numerous IETF RFCs
    (http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html). I'd start with RFC 1661 and go from there.
    Most of the other relevant documents can be found through the RFC index or
    through the usual search engines (search for "RFC" plus whatever you're
    interested in, e.g. PAP, CHAP, etc.) and, believe it or not, Wikipedia.

    For nitty-gritty implementation details, there's always the pppd source
    (http://www.samba.org/ppp/).

  3. Re: PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    Mahesh writes:

    >Hi All,

    >I wanted to develop PPP Protocol From Scratch just for hobby. Dont ask
    >me "why reinvent wheel" .

    No idea what you are talking about. If you redevelop the protocol, you do
    not have ppp. You have something else. If you mean you want to impliment
    ppp from the protocol, then the protocol is defined in the appropriate RFC
    (I do not have the number unfortunately). However, that is actualy
    pointless because there are loads of ppp implimentations out there which
    actually break the protocol, and you also need to make your ppp
    implimentation robust enough that you can handle those non-compliant
    versions as well. That is why it is silly to try to "roll your own" for
    anything useful. For learning it may be useful. There is also a book by
    Carlson which descibes ppp is gory detail.

    >I am crazy for netowkring so wanted to explore more on protocol
    >development.

    >I request any of one here to help regarding how to go about or just
    >give me pdf/doc that explains a bit for development.

    >Waiting for +ve response

    >Thanks a lot.

    >-
    >Mahesh

  4. Re: PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:24:45 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    > ...However, that is actualy pointless because there are loads of ppp
    > implimentations out there which actually break the protocol, and you also
    > need to make your ppp implimentation robust enough that you can handle
    > those non-compliant versions as well. That is why it is silly to try to
    > "roll your own" for anything useful.

    Actually, I can think of a number of reasons why it wouldn't be "silly," but
    I consider "because it sounds like fun" to be perfectly adequate. Why
    discourage the guy, especially since the original post suggests that he
    already knows the project may be a bit quixotic?

  5. Re: PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    On Jul 11, 12:26*am, "R.L. Horn" wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:24:45 GMT, Unruh wrote:
    > > ...However, that is actualy pointless because there are loads of ppp
    > > implimentations out there which actually break the protocol, and you also
    > > need to make your ppp implimentation robust enough that you can handle
    > > those non-compliant versions as well. That is why it is silly to try to
    > > "roll your own" for anything useful.

    > Actually, I can think of a number of reasons why it wouldn't be "silly," but
    > I consider "because it sounds like fun" to be perfectly adequate. *Why
    > discourage the guy, especially since the original post suggests that he
    > already knows the project may be a bit quixotic?

    R.L. Horn: Thank you so much for your great assist.

  6. Re: PPP Protocol Development From Scratch

    "R.L. Horn" writes:

    >On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:24:45 GMT, Unruh wrote:

    >> ...However, that is actualy pointless because there are loads of ppp
    >> implimentations out there which actually break the protocol, and you also
    >> need to make your ppp implimentation robust enough that you can handle
    >> those non-compliant versions as well. That is why it is silly to try to
    >> "roll your own" for anything useful.

    >Actually, I can think of a number of reasons why it wouldn't be "silly," but
    >I consider "because it sounds like fun" to be perfectly adequate. Why
    >discourage the guy, especially since the original post suggests that he
    >already knows the project may be a bit quixotic?

    Because he may then be tempted to make it not just for fun, but foist it
    upon an unsuspecting public. That is why the "anything useful" caveate is
    in there. I also tried to supply him with some hints as to where to look.

+ Reply to Thread