ISP fails to provide IP-address (IPCP fails) - PPP

This is a discussion on ISP fails to provide IP-address (IPCP fails) - PPP ; Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to my ISP. Everything seems OK until negotiation of the IP addresses. Authentication and the LCP-phase run OK, but then I get: > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ] > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 > ] ...

  1. ISP fails to provide IP-address (IPCP fails)

    Hi,

    I'm having trouble connecting to my ISP.
    Everything seems OK until negotiation of the IP addresses.
    Authentication and the LCP-phase run OK, but then I get:

    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    > rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1
    > ]
    > sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
    > last message repeated 9 times
    > IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "No network protocols running"]
    > sent [LCP TermReq id=0x3 "No network protocols running"]
    > Connection terminated.
    > Modem hangup
    > Exit.

    So, the ISP refuses to give my machine an IP address. The DNS are not
    correct as well, as the documentation provided by the ISP suggests. I
    don't care about WINS.

    Is this a bug in the ISP's implementation of PPP? Is there a way to
    make
    ppp send an appropriate response (aka IPCP ConfAck) without having
    first
    negotiated either a local or remote IP-address? (A plugin maybe?)

    I'm seeing this with ppp-2.4.4 on a machine running linux-2.6.25.9.
    (The
    ISP is a German phone company for mobile communication, e-plus. Don't
    even think about contacting their support.)

    It is pretty frustrating and I'd appreciate any pointers.

    Thanks,
    Lars

  2. Re: ISP fails to provide IP-address (IPCP fails)

    Problem solved.
    I don't know why, but using wvdial instead of starting pppd directly
    solved the problem.
    Here's a quick blurb about how it finally worked:

    http://lars-bamberger.gmxhome.de/linux/E169.html

    Bye

+ Reply to Thread