"No auth is possible" problem during ppp connection - PPP

This is a discussion on "No auth is possible" problem during ppp connection - PPP ; helps, i can't ppp connection. I think problem. I don't know why received message is No auth is possible platform : Linux Redhat Enterprise 4 AS. --------------------------------------------- problem ---------------------------------------------------------------- [root@rhel4 ppp]# ./ppp- on Serial connection established. using channel 14 Using ...

  1. "No auth is possible" problem during ppp connection

    helps, i can't ppp connection.

    I think problem.
    I don't know why received message is No auth is possible
    platform : Linux Redhat Enterprise 4 AS.

    --------------------------------------------- problem

    [root@rhel4 ppp]# ./ppp-
    on
    Serial connection established.
    using channel 14
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS0
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x2 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x3
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x3 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x4
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x4 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x5
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x5 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x6
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x6 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x7
    ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x7 ]
    Terminating on signal 2.
    sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x8
    ]
    rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
    Connection terminated.

    ------------------------------------------------- ppp-on file
    [root@rhel4 ppp]# more ppp-on
    #!/bin/sh
    TELEPHONE=*99#
    export TELEPHONE
    DIALER_SCRIPT=/etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer

    exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug \
    /dev/ttyS0 9600 \
    lock \
    noauth \
    noccp \
    nomagic \
    refuse-chap \
    defaultroute \
    asyncmap 0 \
    -crtscts \
    -ac \
    -vj \
    -vjccomp \
    -detach \
    -d \
    -bsdcomp \
    -chap \
    -pap \
    connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

    ------------------------------------------------- ppp-on-dialer file

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/sbin/chat -v \
    TIMEOUT 6 \
    ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
    ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
    ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
    '' \\rAT \
    'OK-+++\c-OK' ATM1L3 \
    TIMEOUT 30 \
    OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
    CONNECT ''

    reference site : http://korea.gnu.org/people/chsong/k...WTO.html#toc27

    but, ppp connection success on Windows xp platform.
    follows ppp connection options on window
    - disable 'HARDWARE FLOWCONTOL'
    - disable 'LCP extention'
    - disable 'Software compress use'
    - disable 'IP Compressed Header use'

    thank you any helps.

  2. Re: "No auth is possible" problem during ppp connection

    On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.protocols.ppp, in article
    <120f08a4-b68f-4fc4-b46c-822bd51cb73a@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, marufloor
    wrote:

    >helps, i can't ppp connection.

    The options you have chosen are wrong.

    >I think problem.
    >I don't know why received message is No auth is possible

    You have told pppd not to allow PAP or CHAP authentication, but the
    system you are connecting to _requires_ one or the other.

    >platform : Linux Redhat Enterprise 4 AS.

    That's about three years old - probably using ppp-2.4.2 or 2.4.3. See
    the man page for pppd, which gives more information on the options.

    >exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug \
    > /dev/ttyS0 9600 \

    Do you know that you need such a slow speed? Most modems today will
    operate at 115200

    > lock \
    > noauth \

    'noauth' is not requiring the peer to authenticate to you - normally
    this is the default unless '/sbin/route -n' shows a default route
    before you try to dial in.

    > noccp \
    > nomagic \

    These should probably not be there

    > refuse-chap \

    This is one of your problems. Why do you refuse to tell the peer who
    you are?

    > defaultroute \

    OK

    > asyncmap 0 \

    This is the default, but the peer is asking for 0xa0000 and that is
    often a sign that the peer is broken and you should use the same value.

    > -crtscts \
    > -ac \
    > -vj \
    > -vjccomp \
    > -detach \

    These are obsolete options (changed in ppp-2.3.0 back in 1997, and
    probably not a good choice. Remove them, and add 'nodetach' only.

    > -d \

    Obsolete - use 'debug' if needed.

    > -bsdcomp \

    Obsolete - not needed, as 'noccp' disables all data compression.

    > -chap \
    > -pap \

    And again - obsolete options, but this is the cause of the "No auth is
    possible" message. You are refusing all authentication.

    >#!/bin/sh
    >/usr/sbin/chat -v \
    > TIMEOUT 6 \
    > ABORT '\nBUSY\r' \
    > ABORT '\nNO ANSWER\r' \
    > ABORT '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r' \
    > '' \\rAT \
    > 'OK-+++\c-OK' ATM1L3 \
    > TIMEOUT 30 \
    > OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
    > CONNECT ''

    I know that is part of the ancient HOWTO, but no one has been using
    that script in many years. Also, this is not initializing the modem
    (see the manual for the modem). Perhaps a more suitable script would
    be

    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/sbin/chat -v \
    ABORT BUSY \
    ABORT 'NO ANSWER' \
    '' AT&F0 \
    OK ATDT$TELEPHONE \
    CONNECT \d\c

    The 'AT&F0' is a common modem initialization command - although some
    modems (US Robotics) want AT&F1.

    >reference site :
    > http://korea.gnu.org/people/chsong/k...WTO.html#toc27

    The document is the Korean translation, and I can not read it. However
    the PPP-HOWTO was last updated in July 2000, and the section you appear
    to be following is much older and is obsolete. I suspect this version
    may be from March, 1997 and is nearly useless.

    >but, ppp connection success on Windows xp platform.
    >follows ppp connection options on window
    >- disable 'HARDWARE FLOWCONTOL'

    That is very unusual with most modems.

    >- disable 'LCP extention'
    >- disable 'Software compress use'
    >- disable 'IP Compressed Header use'

    Normally, I would recommend letting pppd make the correct decision
    regarding these issues. The 'LCP extention' is a microsoft concept
    and not really implemented in Linux. Software and IP Compressed
    Headers should negotiate correctly. Only if they do not (shown by
    errors in the ppp log) should you try

    noccp
    novj

    Old guy