Unable to ping by dns name - PPP

This is a discussion on Unable to ping by dns name - PPP ; dear all, I'm able to connect to the ISP and get assigned with the IP address for my ppp0 interface in my Server PC.I've configured my Server PC machine as gateway in the client PCs and able to browse from ...

  1. Unable to ping by dns name

    dear all,

    I'm able to connect to the ISP and get assigned with the IP
    address
    for my ppp0 interface in my Server PC.I've configured my Server PC
    machine
    as gateway in the client PCs and able to browse from them.
    I've given the Server PCs eth0 address in the /etc/resolv.conf
    and running the named in my Server PC.
    From the client PC, I'm able to ping by dns i.e.,
    ping www.google.com does a successful ping from the client PC.

    In my Server PC's /etc/resolv.conf I've configured the ISP's
    DNS addressess 125.22.47.125. I'm trying to ping from the server PC
    but in vain.
    ping www.google.com will never succeed, what may be the reason,
    any pointers in this regard will be helpful

    Thanks in advance,
    Ganesh

  2. Re: Unable to ping by dns name

    gkumarnm@gmail.com writes:
    > In my Server PC's /etc/resolv.conf I've configured the ISP's
    > DNS addressess 125.22.47.125. I'm trying to ping from the server PC
    > but in vain.
    > ping www.google.com will never succeed, what may be the reason,
    > any pointers in this regard will be helpful

    Since you have a local name server configured on that machine, why not
    set up "127.0.0.1" as your configured name server address in
    /etc/resolv.conf?

    --
    James Carlson, Solaris Networking
    Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive 71.232W Vox +1 781 442 2084