provate APN (no dns - PPP

This is a discussion on provate APN (no dns - PPP ; Hi All Its over a 2 weeks i figthing with connecting my system to private APN in GSM network (gprs connection). It seems that problem lays in how pppd works... In if one would like connect to public APN just ...

  1. provate APN (no dns

    Hi All
    Its over a 2 weeks i figthing with connecting my system to private APN in
    GSM network (gprs connection). It seems that problem lays in how pppd
    works...

    In if one would like connect to public APN just to use internet, send proper
    AT command, tries to connect, there is an PAP autentification and then
    system obtaion DNS and IP throug IPCP...(APN "internet") When calling
    private APN i've got
    IPCP timeout probably becouse system offers only IP.. (maybe I'm wrong)
    i've tries to also add ms-dns option, but it doesnt help

    In win32 everything works smoothly without any error. Could you advice??
    please...

    Data:
    ubuntu kernel 2.6.17
    modem: siemens ES75(mc75) on COM1 (ttyS0)

    messeges, debug and setup files are here:
    http://www.stawoz.pl/logs.zip

    any question please ask, acces to system -no problem - i need help....

    Bartek

  2. Re: provate APN (no dns

    bartek w wrote:
    > Hi All
    > Its over a 2 weeks i figthing with connecting my system to private APN in
    > GSM network (gprs connection). It seems that problem lays in how pppd
    > works...

    > In if one would like connect to public APN just to use internet, send proper
    > AT command, tries to connect, there is an PAP autentification and then
    > system obtaion DNS and IP throug IPCP...(APN "internet") When calling
    > private APN i've got
    > IPCP timeout probably becouse system offers only IP.. (maybe I'm wrong)
    > i've tries to also add ms-dns option, but it doesnt help

    The ms-dns option means you offer to supply the DNS servers to the peer
    rather than the peer supplying them to you.

    > In win32 everything works smoothly without any error. Could you advice??
    > please...

    Excerpt from logs/debug:

    Nov 7 16:39:39 STAWOZ-client pppd[4816]: rcvd [PAP AuthAck id=0x1 "TTP Com PPP
    - Password Verified OK"]
    Nov 7 16:39:39 STAWOZ-client pppd[4816]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0> ]
    Nov 7 16:39:42 STAWOZ-client pppd[4816]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0> ]
    Nov 7 16:39:43 STAWOZ-client pppd[4816]: rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ..0.0> ]

    [with many repeats of the last two line]

    Looks like the peer isn't going to provide DNS servers and pppd won't
    give up asking for them so as a result you aren't getting an IP address.
    I've never had to use the pppd option "usepeerdns" but I think pppd
    should accept the ConfRej and just ask for the IP address. If so then
    this pppd is broken. I can say the source code for pppd 2.4.4 here,
    obtained from ftp.samba.org, does not have a "dns3" - it uses dns1 and
    dns2 as one might expect.

    That said try removing the "usepeerdns" option to get past the trouble,
    or better, get a pppd that is not broken. Unfortunately, distributions
    sometimes tamper with programs and break things...

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"

+ Reply to Thread