Debian and iBook - video problems - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian and iBook - video problems - Powerpc ; I'm new to Linux, and I've just finished a network install of Debian etch to an dual USB, G3, 500MHz iBook. The installation seemed to go fine, but when I boot up, what I'm getting is very strange looking screen. ...

  1. Debian and iBook - video problems

    I'm new to Linux, and I've just finished a network install of Debian etch
    to an dual USB, G3, 500MHz iBook. The installation seemed to go fine, but
    when I boot up, what I'm getting is very strange looking screen. There's a
    large horizontal line that divides the screen in half, and there are two
    vertical lines that divide the screen into thirds or so. Nothing is
    visible, except the left-hand third of the screen - the rest of the screen
    is black. In the visible area, I can see enough of an actual screen to see
    that it is asking for the username, so when I enter that and the password, I
    then get to the desktop - but again with only a narrow strip of the actual
    screen functioning along the left hand edge. I can see the "computer" icon,
    my "home" folder and the Trash icon. (There's also a duplicate of this
    image that appears below the horizontal line.) I can see the mouse, and it
    does respond. I can even activate a drop-down menu - it would seem the
    "Desktop" menu is where I might be able to change video settings - but then
    I can't see the menu!

    Is there some kind of boot option I can use? I have no idea how to do this.

  2. Re: Debian and iBook - video problems

    "Mark Fairchild" writes:
    >I'm new to Linux, and I've just finished a network install of Debian etch
    >to an dual USB, G3, 500MHz iBook. The installation seemed to go fine, but
    >when I boot up, what I'm getting is very strange looking screen. There's a
    >large horizontal line that divides the screen in half, and there are two
    >vertical lines that divide the screen into thirds or so. Nothing is
    >visible, except the left-hand third of the screen - the rest of the screen
    >is black. In the visible area, I can see enough of an actual screen to see
    >that it is asking for the username, so when I enter that and the password, I
    >then get to the desktop - but again with only a narrow strip of the actual
    >screen functioning along the left hand edge. I can see the "computer" icon,
    >my "home" folder and the Trash icon. (There's also a duplicate of this
    >image that appears below the horizontal line.) I can see the mouse, and it
    >does respond. I can even activate a drop-down menu - it would seem the
    >"Desktop" menu is where I might be able to change video settings - but then
    >I can't see the menu!
    >
    >Is there some kind of boot option I can use? I have no idea how to do this.

    The typical way to deal with this is to switch to one of the text mode
    virtual terminals (usually, with Ctrl-Alt-F1...Ctrl-Alt-F6, you may or
    may not have to press the Fn key). Then you can try to do things such as

    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

    Or you can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf directly and see how well the
    xorg.conf works with

    X :1

    This will just give you a mesh screen and a mouse cursor, but should
    be enough to see if the xorg.conf works. Stop that X server with
    Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. Once you have an xorg.conf that works, you
    restart the main X server, typically by restarting the display
    manager, e.g.,

    /etc/init.d/gdm restart #if you use gdm as display manager

    Directly editing the xorg.conf is a rather involved topic; if you want
    to go that way, read the xorg.conf man page; you may also find help at
    some howtos.

    - anton