Cache reported in top and my board crashing - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Cache reported in top and my board crashing - Powerpc ; I have been noticing that my board crashes when the amount reported as "cache" in top reaches between 6000-7000K as I start applications. So, I decided to write a test program that simply wrote a log message using syslog to ...

  1. Cache reported in top and my board crashing

    I have been noticing that my board crashes when the amount reported as
    "cache" in top reaches between 6000-7000K as I start applications.
    So, I decided to write a test program that simply wrote a log message
    using syslog to see if it was always crashed at the same amount. With
    this program running, I notice the amount reported as cache starts at
    about 3500K and increases gradually. When it reaches about 3700K, it
    goes back to 3500K and repeats.

    What causes the amount reported at cache in top to go back down? I am
    hoping if I understand this that I may be able to modify my other
    programs to keep the amount cached down and, thus, stop the crash.

    I am running Linux 2.6.26 on powerpc.

  2. Re: Cache reported in top and my board crashing

    As a test, I removed all of my software and ran a test program that
    opened a file and repeatedly wrote "Hello World" to it (hwwrite). I
    see similar behavior.

    Watching top, the hwwrite program takes over 90% of the CPU. When
    cache gets to 12000-16000, the CPU % for hwwrite goes down to 20-40%.
    It then goes back up to over 90% and then crashes with the cache value
    around 19000.

    I would like to run a memory test, but the only one I have found is
    for Intel processors. I am running a PowerPC on 2.6.26.

  3. Re: Cache reported in top and my board crashing

    Bill writes:

    >As a test, I removed all of my software and ran a test program that
    >opened a file and repeatedly wrote "Hello World" to it (hwwrite). I
    >see similar behavior.

    What king of file do you write to?

    >Watching top, the hwwrite program takes over 90% of the CPU. When
    >cache gets to 12000-16000, the CPU % for hwwrite goes down to 20-40%.

    Cache? Do you mean swap?

    >It then goes back up to over 90% and then crashes with the cache value
    >around 19000.

    Run out of disk space?

    And what does "crash" mean? You computer falls onto the floor? Your car
    screems through the garage door?

    >I would like to run a memory test, but the only one I have found is
    >for Intel processors. I am running a PowerPC on 2.6.26.

    >Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

  4. Re: Cache reported in top and my board crashing

    Problem solved. We thought we had 128 MB of RAM. Physically we did
    but we were not able to use it because some registers were not set
    correctly.

+ Reply to Thread