noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac) - Powerpc

This is a discussion on noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac) - Powerpc ; I'm noob re linux on mac and it's driving me quite insane! I recently had ubuntu ppc (not sure which release, 6.** or 7.**) installed and working well on an iMac DV (400mhz) which I got for kicks. So installed ...

  1. noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    I'm noob re linux on mac and it's driving me quite insane!

    I recently had ubuntu ppc (not sure which release, 6.** or 7.**) installed
    and working well on an iMac DV (400mhz) which I got for kicks. So installed
    a larger hardisk, only 40GB so shouldn't present difficulties, and now can
    get any of the ubuntu distros to install straight out of the box (ubuntu,
    kubuntu or xubuntu). What the f**k happened! Is this my box or is there a
    bug?

    Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?

    thanks

  2. Re: noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    In article <6O2ik.23769$WT.12289@newsfe29.ams2>,
    number6 wrote:
    >I'm noob re linux on mac and it's driving me quite insane!
    >
    >I recently had ubuntu ppc (not sure which release, 6.** or 7.**) installed
    >and working well on an iMac DV (400mhz) which I got for kicks. So installed
    >a larger hardisk, only 40GB so shouldn't present difficulties, and now can
    >get any of the ubuntu distros to install straight out of the box (ubuntu,
    >kubuntu or xubuntu). What the f**k happened! Is this my box or is there a
    >bug?

    Is your box "old world" or "new world"? Support for old world boxes
    is iffy these days.

    New World powermacs should work with any semi-competent ppc/linux
    distro, but for old world powermacs you need to do some homework and
    probably start by installing an older old-world compatible distro.

    FWIW, I run YDL6 on an old-world "beige" G3, but that requires some
    tweaking. (I also run YDL6 on a new-world G5 and a new-world G4, but
    on those it's trivial.)

    >Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?

    Yellow Dog, and to some extent RedHat (if you have IBM server HW).

    Fedora supports ppc but they suck.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@it.uu.se)
    Uppsala University, Department of Information Technology, Computing Science Divison

  3. Re: noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    On 2008-07-24, number6 wrote:

    > Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?

    Slackintosh is still active:

    http://slackintosh.workaround.ch/

    (modulo the issues about old-world/new-world; Slackintosh probably does
    not support old-world)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  4. Re: noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    On Jul 24, 10:11*am, "number6" wrote:
    > I'm noob re linux on mac and it's driving me quite insane!
    >
    > I recently had ubuntu ppc (not sure which release, 6.** or 7.**) installed
    > and working well on an iMac DV (400mhz) which I got for kicks. So installed
    > a larger hardisk, only 40GB so shouldn't present difficulties, and now can
    > get any of the ubuntu distros to install straight out of the box (ubuntu,
    > kubuntu or xubuntu). What the f**k happened! Is this my box or is there a
    > bug?
    >
    > Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?
    >
    > thanks

    imac DV is new world you guys (all imacs are)

    are you sure the new hd is good ? are you sure your new install media
    is good ?

    are you sure you got the right kind (power not intel) ?

    You can try straight Debian if you like there is a netinstall iso that
    is only
    about 100MB which installs everything else off the internet.

  5. Re: noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    "number6" wrote in message
    > I'm noob re linux on mac and it's driving me quite insane!
    >
    > I recently had ubuntu ppc (not sure which release, 6.** or 7.**) installed
    > and working well on an iMac DV (400mhz) which I got for kicks. So

    installed
    > a larger hardisk, only 40GB so shouldn't present difficulties, and now can
    > get any of the ubuntu distros to install straight out of the box (ubuntu,
    > kubuntu or xubuntu). What the f**k happened! Is this my box or is there a
    > bug?
    >
    > Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?
    >
    > thanks

    Thanks all. Especially tortoise: i got worried by the suggestion that my mac
    wasn't newworld and coudn't find anything on the web to say as much. As per
    you suggestions tortoise, they all check out: hd disk good, ppc version -
    check, haven't run a mediacheck on disc which i will after burning a new one
    but md5 sum is checks out.
    In anycase, i'll try your suggestions for other distros. Had i386 slackware
    experience so will give the ppc version ago and the deb net install. cheers
    all.

  6. Re: noob questions - linux on mac (G3 imac)

    On 25 Jul 2008 04:55:09 +0100, mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson)
    wrote:

    >In article <6O2ik.23769$WT.12289@newsfe29.ams2>,
    >number6 wrote:

    snipped some "insanity" :-)

    >>Else, which linux distros still actively develop their distros for PPC?

    >Yellow Dog, and to some extent RedHat (if you have IBM server HW).

    Gentoo is another. PS3GRID boots from a stick, and runs a protein
    folding distributed computing app.

    >Fedora supports ppc but they suck.

    The phrase "dog slow" comes to mind. Especially on a PS3. It's the dang
    "security" setup, and the file indexer(s).

+ Reply to Thread