Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170 - Powerpc ; I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM, GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It seems to boot the kernel, ...

  1. Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170

    I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM,
    GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the
    latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It
    seems to boot the kernel, however, at one point it shows:

    Calling quiesce
    returning from prom_init

    and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P
    gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause
    this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least
    boot. BTW: AIX runs fine, and the hardware test CD didn't find any
    hardware problem. Microcode is on the latest level, too.

    Anyone has a clue what causes this problem? And if it's the gfx adapter:
    what is a good and somewhat easy obtainable replacement that provides
    accelerated 2D and if possible also accelerated 3D?

    Benjamin

  2. Re: Problems installing Linux on IBM RS/6000 44P-170

    Hi Benjamin,

    Benjamin Gawert wrote:
    > I got an IBM RS/6000 44P-170 workstation (POWER3 400MHz, 1GB RAM,
    > GXT4000P gfx) on which I want to install Linux on. I downloaded the
    > latest OpenSUSE 10.3 for PowerPC and booted into the installation. It
    > seems to boot the kernel, however, at one point it shows:
    >
    > Calling quiesce
    > returning from prom_init
    >
    > and just sits there. I did some research and found out that the GXT4000P
    > gfx adapter probably isn't supported by Linux at all and might cause
    > this error. But then I also found postings that say it should at least
    > boot. BTW: AIX runs fine, and the hardware test CD didn't find any
    > hardware problem. Microcode is on the latest level, too.
    >
    > Anyone has a clue what causes this problem? And if it's the gfx adapter:
    > what is a good and somewhat easy obtainable replacement that provides
    > accelerated 2D and if possible also accelerated 3D?
    >
    > Benjamin

    I have quite the same problem with a 43P-150. I "solved" that by completely
    removing the VGA card and using the serial console for booting. It's not
    quite easy to navigate in Yast over serial line but i came far enough to
    install my LFS (-->linux from scratch). I now use that (headless) machine
    as internet gateway.
    I heard that a GXT200 should work as it is Matrox compatible. I dont know
    whether this is right nor do i have such a card.

    --
    Thomas

+ Reply to Thread