YDL 5.0.2 problem on iBook G4 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL 5.0.2 problem on iBook G4 - Powerpc ; Hi, I had installed YDL 5.0.2 successfully on my iBook (G4, late 2005) and also on my 7600/200 by using 'yum update' on both cases (and my own kernel for the 7600). A friend who has a 2004 iBook G4 ...

  1. YDL 5.0.2 problem on iBook G4

    Hi,

    I had installed YDL 5.0.2 successfully on my iBook (G4, late 2005) and
    also on my 7600/200 by using 'yum update' on both cases (and my own
    kernel for the 7600). A friend who has a 2004 iBook G4 later tried to
    update his machine using the more conventional DVD install. However,
    he has various problems that are difficult to check (he is in
    Melbourne and I am in Canberra, so a visit is unlikely for some time).
    I am hoping someone may have a suggestion.

    Stewart did a custom install and it installed without apparent
    problems (no complaints). However, it won't boot. He has tried the
    DVD rescue mode boot and checked some things, but so far it is not
    clear what the cause of the problem is. The following is a
    transcription of some of the boot message:

    PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18.0
    PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19.0
    Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
    mount: error while loading shared libaries: libdevmapper.so.1.02: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux
    Press 'I' to enter interactive startup
    Setting clock (local time): Tue Jan 23:52:41 MST 2000 [OK]
    Starting udev:
    [OK]
    Setting hostname localhost.localdomain [OK]
    Setting up local volume management: No volume groups found
    [OK]
    Checking filesystems
    fsck: error while loading shared libraries: libdevmapper.so.1.02 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [FAILED]
    *** An error occurred during the file system check
    *** Dropping you to a shell: the system will reboot
    *** when you leave the shell

    Apparently libdevmapper exists on /usr/lib on Stewart's system just as
    it does on mine. At the moment it is far from clear where the problem
    lies and why my system works without problems and his does not. I
    would be grateful for any suggestions.

    --
    Stephen Harker s.harker@adfa.edu.au
    PEMS

  2. Re: YDL 5.0.2 problem on iBook G4

    In article ,
    Stephen Harker wrote:
    >PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18.0
    >PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19.0
    >Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
    >mount: error while loading shared libaries: libdevmapper.so.1.02: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    > Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux
    > Press 'I' to enter interactive startup
    >Setting clock (local time): Tue Jan 23:52:41 MST 2000 [OK]
    >Starting udev:
    > [OK]
    >Setting hostname localhost.localdomain [OK]
    >Setting up local volume management: No volume groups found
    > [OK]
    >Checking filesystems
    >fsck: error while loading shared libraries: libdevmapper.so.1.02 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    > [FAILED]
    >*** An error occurred during the file system check
    >*** Dropping you to a shell: the system will reboot
    >*** when you leave the shell
    >
    >Apparently libdevmapper exists on /usr/lib on Stewart's system just as
    >it does on mine. At the moment it is far from clear where the problem
    >lies and why my system works without problems and his does not. I
    >would be grateful for any suggestions.

    For dynamic linking, libdevmapper.so needs to exist in /lib/ not /usr/lib/.

    When in the recovery shell, transfer the device-mapper rpm to the broken
    machine, rpm -Uvh it (you may need --force if rpm thinks it's already installed),
    and reboot. Unless the kernel's initrd also needed it, that ought to fix things.

    You can get the rpm from the install cds/dvd or from a yellowdog mirror site.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@it.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: YDL 5.0.2 problem on iBook G4

    mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) writes:

    > In article ,
    > Stephen Harker wrote:
    > >PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18.0
    > >PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19.0
    > >Red Hat nash version 5.0.32 starting
    > >mount: error while loading shared libaries: libdevmapper.so.1.02: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

    > For dynamic linking, libdevmapper.so needs to exist in /lib/ not /usr/lib/.
    >
    > When in the recovery shell, transfer the device-mapper rpm to the broken
    > machine, rpm -Uvh it (you may need --force if rpm thinks it's already installed),
    > and reboot. Unless the kernel's initrd also needed it, that ought to fix things.
    >
    > You can get the rpm from the install cds/dvd or from a yellowdog mirror site.

    Thanks for this. I communicated with Stewart and it helped solve his
    problem. Apparently, like many, he follows the old practise of having
    /usr on a separate partition from /, so things in /usr/lib are not
    mounted at the same time as / and hence are not found.

    --
    Stephen Harker s.harker@adfa.edu.au
    PEMS
    UNSW@ADFA