debian install on an old imac G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on debian install on an old imac G3 - Powerpc ; Hello, I want to install debian etch on my old imac g3 but the genuine CD reader is dead. How can I boot on the debian DVD with an external USB DVD-Reader ? I tried to boot with "alt" key ...

  1. debian install on an old imac G3

    Hello,

    I want to install debian etch on my old imac g3 but the genuine CD reader
    is dead. How can I boot on the debian DVD with an external USB DVD-Reader ?
    I tried to boot with "alt" key on, but I don't see the DVD, only the HD ...

    Thanks for the help !

  2. Re: debian install on an old imac G3

    In article , a wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to install debian etch on my old imac g3 but the genuine CD reader
    > is dead. How can I boot on the debian DVD with an external USB DVD-Reader ?
    > I tried to boot with "alt" key on, but I don't see the DVD, only the HD ...
    >
    > Thanks for the help !

    Try this:
    Right after the bong hold down the OPTion key, hold it down until you
    see a graphics screen pop up that scans the computer for all bootable
    drives. Place your DVD/CD in the external drive first. then when the
    watch icon disappears, its checking all busses for any bootable devices,
    click on the CD disk icon (it will show a penquin, most likely, I
    believe) after you select it select the right arrow below the icons
    and it should boot right off of your firewire/USB drive. Thats how I
    boot my thumb drive and I am quite sure the DVD drive will appear the
    same way.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  3. Re: debian install on an old imac G3

    Le Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:45:53 +0000, B'ichela a écrit:

    > In article , a wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I want to install debian etch on my old imac g3 but the genuine CD reader
    >> is dead. How can I boot on the debian DVD with an external USB DVD-Reader ?
    >> I tried to boot with "alt" key on, but I don't see the DVD, only the HD ...
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help !

    > Try this:
    > Right after the bong hold down the OPTion key, hold it down until you
    > see a graphics screen pop up that scans the computer for all bootable
    > drives. Place your DVD/CD in the external drive first. then when the
    > watch icon disappears, its checking all busses for any bootable devices,
    > click on the CD disk icon (it will show a penquin, most likely, I
    > believe) after you select it select the right arrow below the icons
    > and it should boot right off of your firewire/USB drive. Thats how I
    > boot my thumb drive and I am quite sure the DVD drive will appear the
    > same way.

    Thanks for your help, I've tried your tip and it's OK now !

+ Reply to Thread