old programming on ppc - Powerpc

This is a discussion on old programming on ppc - Powerpc ; Hi, I try using gambas and opencobol on my powerpc but I have error.... it is impossible do you know other old programming language that works on this arch ? thankyou...

  1. old programming on ppc

    Hi,
    I try using gambas and opencobol on my powerpc
    but I have error.... it is impossible

    do you know other old programming language that works on this arch ?

    thankyou

  2. Re: old programming on ppc

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 11:02 am, sacarde@gmail.com (sacarde@gmail.com)
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I try using gambas and opencobol on my powerpc
    > but I have error.... it is impossible
    >
    > do you know other old programming language that works on this arch ?

    If you consider Pascal in that category, you might look into the
    Free Pascal Compiler

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...?group_id=2174

    Please define old programming language if Pascal doesn't cut it.

    > thankyou

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  3. Re: old programming on ppc

    > Please define old programming language if Pascal doesn't cut it.

    I mean: basic or cobol

    thankyou

  4. Re: old programming on ppc

    I try opencobol : result not working

    I try gambas: I have segm. fault

  5. Re: old programming on ppc

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 11:50 am, sacarde@gmail.com (sacarde@gmail.com)
    wrote:

    > I try opencobol : result not working

    Have you tried to compile the example program using:

    $ cob -C hello.cob

    This will result in a .c source file that you can then look at.
    If you get this far successfully, then the issue is the C compiler,
    not open cobol.

    I'm going to fire up my linux on powerpc (powermac g3 running YDL 4.0)
    and see if I can make open cobol work.

    > I try gambas: I have segm. fault

    what version of linux on powerpc are you running?

    'uname -a' or 'cat /etc/*-release'

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"
    \\ // heymanj@acm.org |
    \X/ http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/

  6. Re: old programming on ppc

    on Saturday 05 January 2008 2:46 pm, jerry@hobbeshollow.com (Jerry Heyman)
    wrote:

    > on Saturday 05 January 2008 11:50 am, sacarde@gmail.com
    > (sacarde@gmail.com) wrote:
    >
    >> I try opencobol : result not working

    > Have you tried to compile the example program using:
    >
    > $ cob -C hello.cob
    >
    > This will result in a .c source file that you can then look at.
    > If you get this far successfully, then the issue is the C compiler,
    > not open cobol.
    >
    > I'm going to fire up my linux on powerpc (powermac g3 running YDL 4.0)
    > and see if I can make open cobol work.

    Just finished building/installing open-cobol-1.0 on my YDL 4.0
    system:

    $ uname -a
    Linux pmac.hobbeshollow.com 2.6.8-1.ydl.7 #1 Fri Oct 1 09:28:52 CEST 2004
    ppc ppc ppc GNU/Linux
    $ ls -l /etc/*release*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 37 May 21 2004 /etc/yellowdog-release
    $ cat /etc/yellowdog-release
    Yellow Dog Linux release 4.0 (Orion)

    Open-cobol-1.0 compiled without any issues, and installed perfectly.
    I then compiled the same sample I did with the intel version - got
    a working executable ('Hello World') and then used the -C option to
    see the source code.

    $ rpm -qa | grep gcc
    gcc-3.3.3-16.ydl.4
    libgcc-3.3.3-16.ydl.4
    gcc-c++-3.3.3-16.ydl.4

    Since I'm successfully working, I do not know what to tell you.

    >> I try gambas: I have segm. fault

    > what version of linux on powerpc are you running?
    >
    > 'uname -a' or 'cat /etc/*-release'
    >
    > jerry

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"
    \\ // heymanj@acm.org |
    \X/ http://www.hobbeshollow.com/jerry.html

  7. Re: old programming on ppc

    I have archlinux

    with gcc 4

    Linux powerpc-linux-gnu 2.6.23-ARCH #1 Fri Oct 19 16:14:36 UTC 2007
    ppc 7447A, altivec supported PowerMac10,1 GNU/Linux

  8. Re: old programming on ppc

    On Jan 6, 3:31 am, "saca...@gmail.com" wrote:
    > I have archlinux
    >
    > with gcc 4

    4.what ? 4.1 is stable, 4.2 is testing

    > Linux powerpc-linux-gnu 2.6.23-ARCH #1 Fri Oct 19 16:14:36 UTC 2007
    > ppc 7447A, altivec supported PowerMac10,1 GNU/Linux

    that's a testing release it could be buggy.

    if you are interest in old stuff, suggest you install a stable
    release.

    ydl4. is about like debian sarge i think.

    you can maybe run the older release with mac-on-linux (that boots
    linux too not just macos) if you don't want to dual boot. still,
    its good to have a stable release on hand with testing/unstable
    in case of a major problem (they do occurr).

  9. Re: old programming on ppc

    strange

    in archlinux gcc 4.2.2 is in stable, but there is a gcc3-3.3.6-1 too

    is possible have 2 gcc and use gcc3 only on opencobol ?

  10. Re: old programming on ppc

    oh it works

    with -x parameter it works

    thankyou

    and

    sorry

  11. Re: old programming on ppc

    On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 02:24:58 -0800 (PST),
    sacarde@gmail.com , in
    <9b25a813-b863-4bb1-a761-41f429a393be@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com> wrote:

    >+ is possible have 2 gcc and use gcc3 only on opencobol ?

    Yes. You can specify which gcc to use from the environmental variable
    CC:

    export CC=gcc-3

    or by just calling it explicitly:

    gcc-3 whatever.c