Kexec on powerpc - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Kexec on powerpc - Powerpc ; Hi all, I'm using the latest kernel and I need the kexec support for 85xx processor. When I use the menuconfig with ARCH=ppc and the 85xx and e500 support, I have the kexec support, but when I use ARCH=powerpc I ...

  1. Kexec on powerpc

    Hi all,

    I'm using the latest kernel and I need the kexec support for 85xx
    processor. When I use the menuconfig with ARCH=ppc and the 85xx and
    e500 support, I have the kexec support, but when I use ARCH=powerpc I
    haven't it, but I'm selecting the same processor!! Is it a bug in
    kconfig? Somebody can help me?

    Thanks in advance.

    Marco

  2. Re: Kexec on powerpc

    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:57:03 -0800, Marco wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm using the latest kernel and I need the kexec support for 85xx
    > processor. When I use the menuconfig with ARCH=ppc and the 85xx and e500
    > support, I have the kexec support, but when I use ARCH=powerpc I haven't
    > it, but I'm selecting the same processor!! Is it a bug in kconfig?
    > Somebody can help me?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Marco

    ARCH=ppc and ARCH=powerpc are not the same:
    /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc is the old implementation,
    /usr/src/linux/arch/powerpc is the new 32&64-bit merged implementation.

    Your answer lies in /usr/src/linux/arch/powerpc/Kconfig:
    > config KEXEC
    > bool "kexec system call (EXPERIMENTAL)"
    > depends on (PPC_PRPMC2800 || PPC_MULTIPLATFORM) && EXPERIMENTAL

    You need to select PPC_MULTIPLATFORM.
    (If you were using menuconfig, selecting "" would show you this.)

  3. Re: Kexec on powerpc

    On 15 Nov, 09:57, Tzy-Jye Daniel Lin wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:57:03 -0800, Marco wrote:
    > > Hi all,

    > > I'm using the latest kernel and I need the kexec support for 85xx
    > > processor. When I use the menuconfig with ARCH=ppc and the 85xx and e500
    > > support, I have the kexec support, but when I use ARCH=powerpc I haven't
    > > it, but I'm selecting the same processor!! Is it a bug in kconfig?
    > > Somebody can help me?

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Marco

    > ARCH=ppc and ARCH=powerpc are not the same:
    > /usr/src/linux/arch/ppc is the old implementation,
    > /usr/src/linux/arch/powerpc is the new 32&64-bit merged implementation.
    >
    > Your answer lies in /usr/src/linux/arch/powerpc/Kconfig:> config KEXEC
    > > bool "kexec system call (EXPERIMENTAL)"
    > > depends on (PPC_PRPMC2800 || PPC_MULTIPLATFORM) && EXPERIMENTAL

    > You need to select PPC_MULTIPLATFORM.
    > (If you were using menuconfig, selecting "" would show you this.)

    I know that ppc and powerpc are not the same, but first of all I can't
    select PPC_MULTIPLATFORM because 85xx processors are not included
    (this options is good only for 82xx,86xx, and so on) and second
    Kconfig is different for the same processor with the same features in
    ppc and powerpc. If there is the kexec support for 85xx in ppc,
    why is there not in powerpc for the same processor? I hope now is more
    clear.

+ Reply to Thread