A year ago or so I bought an Airport Extreme card and plugged it into
my iBook G4. Unfortunately, it never worked properly. I saw that it
worked somewhat, but dhclient and any applications worked only close
to an access point. We have now solved this problem: The antenna
cable was not plugged in properly; it required a lot of force to plug
it in properly.

For anyone playing around with such a card who wants to set it up
manually, here's what I do (on a Debian Etch system):

/etc/init.d/networking stop #disable ethernet
modprobe bcm43xx
iwconfig eth0 essid tunet
iwlist scan #not required
dhclient eth0

You may have to change "eth0" and "tunet" to something else.

- anton