WLAN card for embedded power pc - Powerpc

This is a discussion on WLAN card for embedded power pc - Powerpc ; Can anyone recommend a WLAN card for the following system: - PowerPC freescale MPC5200 (PPC 603e core) - Linux kernel 2.4.25 ( www.denx.de , module linux_2_4_devel) - form factor: MiniPCI type III Until now, I have two old cards running ...

  1. WLAN card for embedded power pc

    Can anyone recommend a WLAN card for the following system:

    - PowerPC freescale MPC5200 (PPC 603e core)
    - Linux kernel 2.4.25 (www.denx.de, module linux_2_4_devel)
    - form factor: MiniPCI type III

    Until now, I have two old cards running on that platform (Hermes- and
    Prism-chipset). But these cards are discontinued.

    I have also tested a few newer cards - but without success.

    The Atheros cards (chipset AR5005GS, madwifi driver) results in a
    strange error, that isnīt solved by the madwifi community until now.
    The Ralink cards (RT61, legacy driver from ralink) canīt be
    initialized (no device found). The rt2x00 driver canīt be used with
    the 2.4.x kernel.

    I believe, the PPC brings two problems to the driver developers:
    1. big endian
    2. memory mapped IO addresses

    Has anyone a solution for my problem?

    Thanks
    Widmann

  2. Re: WLAN card for embedded power pc

    > Until now, I have two old cards running on that platform (Hermes- and
    > Prism-chipset). But these cards are discontinued.

    Sounds like after buying out all of the wifi makers they are now
    closing all documented product families. No surprise, this is why
    they have bought them in the first place after all.

    > I believe, the PPC brings two problems to the driver developers:
    > 1. big endian
    > 2. memory mapped IO addresses

    None of the above is even remotely related to your problem.
    There simply is no documentation on the wifi hardware left out
    by the "party members" circle. Unless you run windows, no wifi.
    Aparently this is the goal - and they are damn close to it.

    > Has anyone a solution for my problem?

    I wish I had. And to world peace, yes. And whatnot....

    Dimiter

    Dimiter Popoff Transgalactic Instruments

    http://www.tgi-sci.com

    On Sep 23, 12:05 pm, widi2000 wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a WLAN card for the following system:
    >
    > - PowerPC freescale MPC5200 (PPC 603e core)
    > - Linux kernel 2.4.25 (www.denx.de, module linux_2_4_devel)
    > - form factor: MiniPCI type III
    >
    > Until now, I have two old cards running on that platform (Hermes- and
    > Prism-chipset). But these cards are discontinued.
    >
    > I have also tested a few newer cards - but without success.
    >
    > The Atheros cards (chipset AR5005GS, madwifi driver) results in a
    > strange error, that isnīt solved by the madwifi community until now.
    > The Ralink cards (RT61, legacy driver from ralink) canīt be
    > initialized (no device found). The rt2x00 driver canīt be used with
    > the 2.4.x kernel.
    >
    > I believe, the PPC brings two problems to the driver developers:
    > 1. big endian
    > 2. memory mapped IO addresses
    >
    > Has anyone a solution for my problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Widmann

  3. Re: WLAN card for embedded power pc

    widi2000 wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a WLAN card for the following system:
    >
    > - PowerPC freescale MPC5200 (PPC 603e core)
    > - Linux kernel 2.4.25 (www.denx.de, module linux_2_4_devel)
    > - form factor: MiniPCI type III

    ?? is this form factor a synonym for pcmcia type III ? if not
    suggest look for pcmcia card holder for pci slot. those take
    laptop wifi cards.

    as far as new for that, suggest trying macsense aero card which
    uses prism chipset. this is card I use with my laptops and it works
    fine for me in both kinds of macos and in linux.

    2.4 gave me some trouble before and I fix it with wifi drivers
    i build from sourceforge but it seem rather fragile and broke
    again. that was when i went (back) to 2.6 kernels.

    > Until now, I have two old cards running on that platform (Hermes- and
    > Prism-chipset). But these cards are discontinued.

    i believe these were made to be compatible with 16bit interfaces. but
    with those disappearing there is move from "b" to "g" or faster. for
    local network services (rendevous, bonjour) 11mb/s is slow these
    days ...

    > I have also tested a few newer cards - but without success.
    >
    > The Atheros cards (chipset AR5005GS, madwifi driver) results in a
    > strange error, that isnīt solved by the madwifi community until now.
    > The Ralink cards (RT61, legacy driver from ralink) canīt be
    > initialized (no device found). The rt2x00 driver canīt be used with
    > the 2.4.x kernel.
    >
    > I believe, the PPC brings two problems to the driver developers:
    > 1. big endian
    > 2. memory mapped IO addresses
    >
    > Has anyone a solution for my problem?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Widmann

  4. Re: WLAN card for embedded power pc

    Yes but for PowerPC 405EP

    please use SDK from http://magicbox.pl/ and cross toolchains for MPC5xx
    from denx.de

    we use Atheros, Prism,Hermes,ACX100 and RT and work great

    but with the 2.6 Kernel .

+ Reply to Thread