recommendation linux-distri for powerbook 800MHZ - Powerpc

This is a discussion on recommendation linux-distri for powerbook 800MHZ - Powerpc ; Hello I am searching for useful distribution to run linux on my powerbook. The problem: I have tested some versions debian 3.0 kubuntu ubuntu... And at the last I can say the oldest was running in the best. hibernating was ...

  1. recommendation linux-distri for powerbook 800MHZ

    Hello I am searching for useful distribution to run linux on my
    powerbook. The problem: I have tested some versions debian 3.0 kubuntu
    ubuntu...
    And at the last I can say the oldest was running in the best.
    hibernating was working. suspend to ram all the specials are working.
    But most of my used software packages are not available in this
    distribution. and now the newest ubuntu has a very modern style all
    looks very fine but the hardware support is not o.k.

    suspend is not working
    hibernating is disabled
    mighty bluetooth mouse works only sometimes
    firewire is disabled
    cpu freq is only 500
    WLAN is not configured and not usable
    Bootpslash looks starnge.

    Any idea what I can use? I am wondering a little bit: the hardware on
    all these apple computers should be the same and known by the linux
    developers. So I don't understand these problems. And not to forget on
    the oldest distri all was working!!!

    GREETINGS Randolf Balasus

  2. Re: recommendation linux-distri for powerbook 800MHZ

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:09:53 +0200, randolf balasus wrote:

    > Hello I am searching for useful distribution to run linux on my
    > powerbook. The problem: I have tested some versions debian 3.0 kubuntu
    > ubuntu...

    I had an older version of ubuntu running on my ibook. I'm looking at
    putting the new fedora 7 distro on a dual 450 powermac I've got sitting
    around. Haven't tried it yet but I've heard good things about it.

    l8r...

    coldfire

  3. Re: recommendation linux-distri for powerbook 800MHZ

    randolf balasus writes:
    >Hello I am searching for useful distribution to run linux on my
    >powerbook. The problem: I have tested some versions debian 3.0 kubuntu
    >ubuntu...
    >And at the last I can say the oldest was running in the best.
    >hibernating was working. suspend to ram all the specials are working.
    >But most of my used software packages are not available in this
    >distribution.

    What does /proc/cpuinfo contain about the board? I have an iBook G4
    12" 1GHz, and I get:

    processor : 0
    cpu : 7447A, altivec supported
    clock : 1066.666000MHz
    revision : 0.1 (pvr 8003 0101)
    bogomips : 73.47
    timebase : 18432000
    platform : PowerMac
    machine : PowerBook6,5
    motherboard : PowerBook6,5 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh
    detected as : 287 (iBook G4)
    pmac flags : 0000001b
    L2 cache : 512K unified
    pmac-generation : NewWorld

    I am using Debian Etch (4.0) and used Sarge before, and things got
    better with the newer version.

    >suspend is not working
    >hibernating is disabled

    Suspend-to-ram is working fine on my iBook. I have not tried
    suspend-to-disk and actually don't know how I could try it out.

    >mighty bluetooth mouse works only sometimes
    >firewire is disabled

    I have not tried either.

    >cpu freq is only 500

    cpufreq is working on my iBook. I can select 533MHz or 1066MHz, but I
    found that there is no power consumption difference when the system is
    idle, and not much when it is loaded, so I always have it at 1066MHz.

    >WLAN is not configured and not usable

    WLAN (Airport Extreme) does not work properly, but that seems to be a
    hardware problem (maybe the antenna is damaged): it works very close
    to an access point, but not reliably at range.

    >Bootpslash looks starnge.

    Boot splash screen works all right.

    - anton