Advice - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Advice - Powerpc ; Hello, I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction. I have a requirement to get RHEL running on a Power system. I have looked on redhat's site and found certification of ...

  1. Advice

    Hello,

    I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to point me in the
    right direction. I have a requirement to get RHEL running on a Power
    system. I have looked on redhat's site and found certification of new
    hardware for RHEL. I was wondering if anyone had any joy getting
    older RS6000 kit working, mainly something like :

    RS6000 Model 7044-170 (Power3-II)
    RS6000 Model 7043-150 ( PowerPC 604e)
    RS6000 Model 7043-140 ( PowerPC 604e)

    I have had a dig around the internet but alas without much joy.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Advice

    on Tuesday 28 August 2007 06:21 am, paul@paulcarruthers.co.uk
    ( paul@paulcarruthers.co.uk) wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I was wondering if someone could be so kind as to point me in the
    > right direction. I have a requirement to get RHEL running on a Power
    > system. I have looked on redhat's site and found certification of new
    > hardware for RHEL. I was wondering if anyone had any joy getting
    > older RS6000 kit working, mainly something like :
    >
    > RS6000 Model 7044-170 (Power3-II)
    > RS6000 Model 7043-150 ( PowerPC 604e)
    > RS6000 Model 7043-140 ( PowerPC 604e)
    >
    > I have had a dig around the internet but alas without much joy.

    I'm willing to bet you can't get RHEL running on any of those ancient
    systems. If you're looking to run a 'community' version (rather than
    a commercially supported version), you can look to OpenSuSE

    http://en.opensuse.org/Supported_PowerPC_hardware

    Their wiki looks to say that those machines are supported - with the
    most recent 10.2 release.

    > Thanks

    jerry
    --

    "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
    was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

+ Reply to Thread