Debian on iMac G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian on iMac G3 - Powerpc ; Hi Folks Must be a quiet Sunday; this has certainly consumed it whole! I've been running Ubuntu with great results on an old AMD box, so I installed Debian on a 2001 iMac G3 500mhz 256MB today . I downed ...

  1. Debian on iMac G3

    Hi Folks

    Must be a quiet Sunday; this has certainly consumed it whole!

    I've been running Ubuntu with great results on an old AMD box, so I
    installed Debian on a 2001 iMac G3 500mhz 256MB today .

    I downed and burned a basic installer ISO and then installed it, added
    the desktop and added two users, Root and the regular user.

    Problem is when I rebooted, screen seemed to be coloured half way and
    the balance was black; 3 minutes later I got to the log in screen, I
    entered my user name and 5 minutes later got a Nautilus failed error
    message (incidentally the errors were presented in what looked like
    Windows 3.1 dialog boxes...)

    Any suggestions as to why Nautilus might be failing? Debian was
    installed over the former OSX install so it's the only OS available
    and the installation appeared to go well.

    I've re-installed Debian and attempted to log in twice more and each
    time Nautilus fails the same way.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: Debian on iMac G3

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:47:32 -0700,
    Alan L , in
    <1188125252.835439.178190@z24g2000prh.googlegroups. com> wrote:

    >+ I've re-installed Debian and attempted to log in twice more and each
    >+ time Nautilus fails the same way.

    I would try logging in with the failsafe. Look under session to find
    your failsafe login options. Then take a look at .xsession-errors. There
    might be other error files, so you may need to use this:

    find ~/ -iname "*err*" -print

    isn't looking good, either.