Converting 6400/200 to WiFi - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Converting 6400/200 to WiFi - Powerpc ; I have a Performa 6400/200 and want to go on the internet. However, I can't use a phone line. Can I install something to go WiFI? I am not computer savvy so be gentle....

  1. Converting 6400/200 to WiFi

    I have a Performa 6400/200 and want to go on the internet. However, I
    can't use a phone line. Can I install something to go WiFI? I am not
    computer savvy so be gentle.

  2. Re: Converting 6400/200 to WiFi

    on Friday 03 August 2007 06:36 pm, jpb9496@hotmail.com
    ( jpb9496@hotmail.com) wrote:

    > I have a Performa 6400/200 and want to go on the internet. However, I
    > can't use a phone line. Can I install something to go WiFI? I am not
    > computer savvy so be gentle.

    Lets start easy. How do you plan on connecting to the Internet if you're
    not using a phone line? WiFi assumes that you have a WAP (Wireless Access
    Point) that is connected to the Internet. By not using phone, you have
    two options - cable modem or DSL modem.

    Information on 6400 can be found at -

    http://lowendmac.com/ppc/6400.shtml
    http://www.zone6400.com/files/ethern...MM_II_Ethernet

    Since the 6400 was discontinued long before WiFi became possible,
    I'm willing to bet that the answer is no. You might be able to find
    one of the Ethernet cards mentioned at the URL above on eBay. You
    would still then need either a cable/DSL modem to connect to the
    Internet.

    Good luck.

    jerry
    --

    "Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
    was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

  3. Re: Converting 6400/200 to WiFi

    In article <1805403.ARdEoGx2t3@unix.hobbeshollow.com>, Jerry Heyman wrote:
    > Lets start easy. How do you plan on connecting to the Internet if you're
    > not using a phone line? WiFi assumes that you have a WAP (Wireless Access
    > Point) that is connected to the Internet. By not using phone, you have
    > two options - cable modem or DSL modem.

    He may have access to a wifi hotspot. so thats still possible

    > Since the 6400 was discontinued long before WiFi became possible,
    > I'm willing to bet that the answer is no. You might be able to find
    > one of the Ethernet cards mentioned at the URL above on eBay. You
    > would still then need either a cable/DSL modem to connect to the
    > Internet.

    D-link/linksys make bridges that plug into the 10base-t (RJ45
    lan port) and provide wireless support . but I don't know what the
    6400 has. IF it uses an AAUI.... then you need a Asante AAUI to
    10baseT transciver, then a wifi bridge. then you would set up your
    appletalk/tcpip networking to use a dhcpd server.
    The bridge itself has a 192.168.x.x address which you can use
    mozilla/netscape to configure. your manual with the bridge will show
    you how.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

+ Reply to Thread