Good day.

I installed Fedora 7 on an IBM pSeries 570 LPAR (0.1 real CPU, 1GB RAM)
yesterday in a pretty wierd configuration using netboot (ppc64.img). Actual
installation has been done to an USB hard drive, which is not supported as a
boot device by OpenFirmware. Unfortunately, I cannot dedicate any real iron to
this LPAR, so it only has DVD-RAM drive temporarily and virtual Ethernet
interface. I tried installing to an iSCSI target running in another LPAR,but
that's another story and so far it failed. Actuall installation went fine, but
since I cannot boot directly off the USB disk, I have to resort to netboot. What
I did is I put yaboot, yaboot.conf, vmlinuz, ramdisk.image.gz in respective
directories under /tftpboot on the other LPAR and tried to netboot. Yaboot loads
OK, kernel loads OK, but fails to load the ramdisk image, although image is
transferred over correctly using tftp. It seems to load ramdisk to the same
address as kernel, if I am not mistaken, and drops into OF debugger. If Ido not
specify ramdisk then it cannot mount root, obviously lacking modules for disk
driver. Not being expert at netbooting, I tried to investigate what's on the USB
hard disk by booting off Fedora 7 rescue CD. It won't boot off the RescueCD
either. I understand that netbooting may be tricky and I am on my own, but, I
guess, CD should load fine.Rescue and install CDs from Fedora Core 6 loadjust
fine on the LPAR, so I suspect there is something with the Fedora 7
distribution. Anyone hit this problem and has an advice?

when booting off Rescue CD, following is shown:
[quote]
Elapsed time since release of system processors: 21151 mins 38 secs

Config file read, 543 bytes

Welcome to the Fedora 7 rescue!
Use 'rescue32' for 32-bit kernel.

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13 (Red Hat 1.3.13-4.fc7)
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot: [TAB]
linux64 linux linux32

rescue64 rescue rescue32

boot: help

Press the tab key for a list of defined images.
The label marked with a "*" is is the default image, press to boot it.

To boot any other label simply type its name and press .

To boot a kernel image which is not defined in the yaboot configuration
file, enter the kernel image name as [[device:][partno],]/path, where
"device:" is the OpenFirmware device path to the disk the image
resides on, and "partno" is the partition number the image resides on.
Note that the comma (,) is only required if you specify an OpenFirmware
device, if you only specify a filename you should not start it with a ","

If you omit "device:" and "partno" yaboot will use the values of
"device=" and "partition=" in yaboot.conf, right now those are set to:
device=/pci@800000020000003/pci@2,4/ide@1/disk@0
partition=0
boot: rescue
Please wait, loading kernel...
Elf64 kernel loaded...
Claim failed for initrd memory
ramdisk load failed !
ENTER called ok
0 >
[unquote]

When booting off network, I get following:
[quote]
BOOTP: requested filename = \etc\yaboot.conf
BOOTP: client IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: client HW addr = 62 af 17 c6 68 1e
BOOTP: gateway IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: device /vdevice/l-lan@30000002
BOOTP: loc-code U9117.570.XXXXXXX-V5-C2-T1

BOOTP R = 1 BOOTP S = 2
FILE: /etc/yaboot.conf
FINAL Packet Count = 1
FINAL File Size = 241 bytes.
load-base=0x4000
real-base=0x2000000
Config file read, 241 bytes

Welcome to the 64-bit Fedora 7 installer!
Hit for boot options.

Welcome to yaboot version 1.3.13 (Red Hat 1.3.13-4.fc7)
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot:
boot: linux
Please wait, loading kernel...

BOOTP: chosen-network-type = ethernet,auto,none,auto
BOOTP: server IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: requested filename = \ppc\ppc64\vmlinuz
BOOTP: client IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: client HW addr = 62 af 17 c6 68 1e
BOOTP: gateway IP = 0.0.0.0
BOOTP: device /vdevice/l-lan@30000002
BOOTP: loc-code U9117.570.XXXXXXX-V5-C2-T1

BOOTP R = 1 BOOTP S = 2
FILE: /ppc/ppc64/vmlinuz
FINAL Packet Count = 14780
FINAL File Size = 7567248 bytes.
load-base=0x4000
real-base=0x2000000
Elf64 kernel loaded...
OF stdout device is: /vdevice/vty@30000000
Hypertas detected, assuming LPAR !
command line: root=/dev/sda2 ro
memory layout at init:
alloc_bottom : 0000000001be1000
alloc_top : 0000000008000000
alloc_top_hi : 0000000040000000
rmo_top : 0000000008000000
ram_top : 0000000040000000
Looking for displays
instantiating rtas at 0x00000000076a1000 ... done
0000000000000000 : boot cpu 0000000000000000
Linux version 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 (kojibuilder@ppc2.fedora.redhat.com) (gccvers
n 4.1.2 20070502 (Red Hat 4.1.2-12)) #1 SMP Wed May 23 22:13:52 EDT 2007
[boot]0012 Setup Arch
Node 0 active with no memory
No ramdisk, default root is /dev/sda2
EEH: PCI Enhanced I/O Error Handling Enabled
PPC64 nvram contains 7168 bytes
Zone PFN ranges:
DMA 0 -> 262144
Normal 262144 -> 262144
early_node_map[4] active PFN ranges
1: 0 -> 32768
2: 32768 -> 98304
3: 98304 -> 131072
2: 131072 -> 262144
Could not find start_pfn for node 0
Node 0 active with no memory
Node 0 active with no memory
Node 0 active with no memory
drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc0)
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[unquote]

my yaboot.conf looks like this:
init-message = "\nWelcome to the 64-bit Fedora 7 installer!\nHit for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout=6000
default=linux

image=/ppc/ppc64/vmlinuz