I recently installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn on my old PowerBook G3. It
runs great for the most part--except that every now and then it slows
to an excruciating crawl. by switching to the a terminal and typing
"top" under these conditions (which requires the patience of a saint),
I see that a process called hald-addon-stor is taking up around 95% of
the CPU time. shutting down and restarting is the only thing that
seems to get it back to normal.

I had 512 MB installed; recalling that there are some issues with OSX
and >256Mb, I removed the top memory card. It still happens.

So, any ideas what's going on? It is possible to fix?

M(any)TIA, Matt