Minimal uImage (compressed Linux kerne)l size for PPC 8270 processor - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Minimal uImage (compressed Linux kerne)l size for PPC 8270 processor - Powerpc ; Hi, I am poring from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6. My board is based on PPC 8270 processor of FreeScale (former Motorola). The uImage (compressed Linux kernel) size on Linux version 2.4 was ~ 720 Kbytes. What size should I ...

  1. Minimal uImage (compressed Linux kerne)l size for PPC 8270 processor

    Hi,

    I am poring from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6. My board is based on PPC 8270
    processor of FreeScale (former Motorola).

    The uImage (compressed Linux kernel) size on Linux version 2.4 was ~
    720
    Kbytes. What size should I expect on Linux 2.6 ?

    What is the typical/minimal uImage Linux kernel size , assuming that
    I am
    using TCP/IP, UART, etc.

    The drivers that we added are not so big in size, so loading them
    dynamically will not reduce largely the size of Linux uBoot Image.

    Thanks,

    Martin Roth
    Motorola

  2. Re: Minimal uImage (compressed Linux kerne)l size for PPC 8270 processor

    roth.martin@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am poring from Linux 2.4 to Linux 2.6. My board is based on PPC 8270
    > processor of FreeScale (former Motorola).
    >
    > The uImage (compressed Linux kernel) size on Linux version 2.4 was ~
    > 720
    > Kbytes. What size should I expect on Linux 2.6 ?
    >
    > What is the typical/minimal uImage Linux kernel size , assuming that
    > I am
    > using TCP/IP, UART, etc.
    >
    > The drivers that we added are not so big in size, so loading them
    > dynamically will not reduce largely the size of Linux uBoot Image.

    I can't speak for typical/minimal, but I have a uImage for
    an 8347 that is 1.2MB. This is a rather "full-featured"
    kernel. Hope that helps.

    --
    Michael N. Moran (h) 770 516 7918
    5009 Old Field Ct. (c) 678 521 5460

    "So often times it happens, that we live our lives in chains
    and we never even know we have the key."
    "Already Gone" by Jack Tempchin (recorded by The Eagles)

    The Beatles were wrong: 1 & 1 & 1 is 1

+ Reply to Thread