Some more questions - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Some more questions - Powerpc ; Hi! I'm still pretty new to PPC Linux (I use Debian Etch), but I'm really enjoying it! However, there are a few little annoyances that I need some help with. 1. I've tried all the PDF viewers I can find ...

  1. Some more questions

    Hi!

    I'm still pretty new to PPC Linux (I use Debian Etch), but I'm really
    enjoying it! However, there are a few little annoyances that I need some
    help with.

    1. I've tried all the PDF viewers I can find (XPDF, KPDF, GhostView, and
    Evince), and have run into a problem that seems to be common to all of
    them. If the PDF file uses a font that is not on the system and isn't
    embedded in the file, the text using that font is not displayed. This
    results in many files having large blank sections, or even being
    completely blank. I've tried the same files on MacOS, Windows, and even
    the i386 Linux versions of the same programs I've tried on my PPC Linux
    machine, and they display just fine. Does anyone have any ideas what I
    can check on to solve this problem?

    2. I have a USB flash drive that until the last few days has been
    working just fine. Suddenly, and only on Linux (both PPC Linux at home
    and i386 Linux at work), the files on it are all locked (read-only), and
    I cannot write to it. It says I do not have proper permissions to write
    to it, even though when I check, it indeed does have the same owner and
    group permissions as my current user account. I cannot even write to it
    under my root account. I cannot make any changes whatsoever to it
    without Linux giving me the permissions message. Now, when using MacOS
    and Windows, I can use the USB flash drive just fine without any
    restrictions, and this restricted access under Linux has only happened
    over the last few days. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with
    it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

    3. I've installed Debian Etch i386 Linux at work. On both the wired-in
    and wireless network, internet access is quite slow and most sites don't
    respond at all while some respond relatively well (just slow). LAN
    access seems fine. This problem doesn't exist on the Windows machines
    there. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance for your comments on any of these issues!

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  2. Re: Some more questions

    On Jul 3, 1:26 pm, Michael and Nicole Freeman
    wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm still pretty new to PPC Linux (I use Debian Etch), but I'm really
    > enjoying it! However, there are a few little annoyances that I need some
    > help with.
    >
    > 1. I've tried all the PDF viewers I can find (XPDF, KPDF, GhostView, and
    > Evince), and have run into a problem that seems to be common to all of

    try gv. its basic but it might substitute fonts. also I like gnusteps
    pdf viewer (also known as vindaloo) although it might suffer the
    same problems.

    make sure you have enough fonts installed to cover most cases.
    not all the fonts get installed by default. although gnustep does
    not have all the postscript functionality of macosX, it has some
    font management parts, which is why I suggest it.

    also there is a choice of postscript interpreters so you might
    want to try switching. once place i had to create a symbolic link
    by hand when i did that or else the system could not find the
    intrepreter.

    check with aptitude about which recommended and suggested packages you
    might find helpful.
    > them. If the PDF file uses a font that is not on the system and isn't
    > embedded in the file, the text using that font is not displayed. This
    > results in many files having large blank sections, or even being
    > completely blank. I've tried the same files on MacOS, Windows, and even

    > the i386 Linux versions of the same programs I've tried on my PPC Linux
    > machine, and they display just fine. Does anyone have any ideas what I
    > can check on to solve this problem?

    if you find that a resolution or not you might want to file a bug
    report. it is possible that something is broke on ppc, perhaps
    or not something simple.

    > 2. I have a USB flash drive that until the last few days has been
    > working just fine. Suddenly, and only on Linux (both PPC Linux at home
    > and i386 Linux at work), the files on it are all locked (read-only), and
    > I cannot write to it. It says I do not have proper permissions to write
    > to it, even though when I check, it indeed does have the same owner and
    > group permissions as my current user account. I cannot even write to it
    > under my root account. I cannot make any changes whatsoever to it
    > without Linux giving me the permissions message. Now, when using MacOS
    > and Windows, I can use the USB flash drive just fine without any
    > restrictions, and this restricted access under Linux has only happened
    > over the last few days. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with
    > it. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

    I would copy the files to my hd in macos and then reformat the
    flash drive. I would try two partitions and in linux reformat one
    as a linux partition. linux will allow you to check for bad spots,
    but i think only for linux partitions ???)

    See if it happens again and exactly what you were last doing when
    it does.

    I have been told that sometimes flash media has defects. it is
    not a problem really for what most people do in windows or macos,
    just an odd bit somewhere but perhaps linux is more finicky ?
    I don't use these but i use a card reader for backup that is
    supposedly the same type of media. i have no problems but
    i do reformat the card fairly regular (every time i use it with my
    camera, which i don't use much. but obviously the camera is not
    happy about strange files...)

    > 3. I've installed Debian Etch i386 Linux at work. On both the wired-in
    > and wireless network, internet access is quite slow and most sites don't
    > respond at all while some respond relatively well (just slow). LAN
    > access seems fine. This problem doesn't exist on the Windows machines
    > there. Any ideas?

    just a wild guess, could some windows machine be playing dns
    server, that your linux box is going to. not a really server maybe
    a caching server. i don't use i386/windows at all so this really
    is about all i could say here.

    > Thanks in advance for your comments on any of these issues!
    >
    > Mike Freeman
    > mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

+ Reply to Thread