IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up? - Powerpc ; Hi! I'm a Linux newbie. I installed Linux (Debian Etch) on my old 350MHz G3 slot-load iMac because OS 9 software was getting too outdated to be really useful anymore, but I didn't want to shell out the cash for ...

  1. IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    Hi!

    I'm a Linux newbie. I installed Linux (Debian Etch) on my old 350MHz G3
    slot-load iMac because OS 9 software was getting too outdated to be
    really useful anymore, but I didn't want to shell out the cash for OS X
    only to risk my system not being quite up to running it. I've really
    come to enjoy and appreciate Linux (aside from a couple things - support
    for newer Flash files and the ability to check the ink levels and clean
    the heads on my Epson 777 printer).

    One thing I did wrong, I discovered after about a month of use, was
    that when I installed Linux and re-installed OS 9 (still had a couple
    Apps I want to run there), I evenly split my stock 7Gb Hard Drive into
    two ~3.5Gb partitions. I quickly ran out of room on Linux, and after
    uninstalling unneeded OS 9 software had more than enough space there.
    The only way I could get the extra space moved over to the Linux
    partition was to completely re-partition and re-install. I could shrink
    the MacOS partition, but couldn't increase the size of the Linux
    partition for some reason.

    I wanted to save all the files and settings I had accumulated on Linux,
    and not understanding the consequences of doing this, I just backed up
    all the files in my user account Home folder (including hidden files). I
    re-partitioned and re-installed, got all my software back in place, and
    copied the files back over to my Home folder - but I was in my root
    account . Everything in that folder was overwritten but the owner was
    set to root. It of course wouldn't log into my user account. I did a
    chown command on the entire folder, and that seemed to have solved the
    problem, until I ran IceApe and IceWeasel. They crash a *lot* now.
    Sometimes a specific site crashes it right away. Other times a site will
    load, but crash when I try to scroll down the page. This doesn't happen
    in Epiphany - it's very stable, but I don't like Epiphany as well as the
    others. Also, IceApe's HTML Composer won't load at all, which is new, too.

    I've tried completely removing both pieces of software, including
    deleting any and all Mozilla/IceApe/IceWeasel-related files in my Home
    folder. But, when I re-install them, the problem returns. Any
    suggestions? Remember, I'm a newbie coming from the heavily GUI'd MacOS,
    so go easy on me! Thanks!

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  2. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

  3. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    In article <87fy4vva6r.fsf@hardknott.home>, Roger Leigh wrote:
    > The Linux Logical Volume Manager (LVM) can be useful here. You can
    > shrink and extend logical volumes (LVs) and the filesystems which they
    > contain.

    How does that work? I have heard of it but never used it here
    at pinkrose.dhis.org
    > In this case, I would "rm -rf" any dotfiles in your home directory to
    > do with Mozilla et. al.. Also, as root, run "chown -R user:group
    > /home/user" to make sure every file in your home is owned by you.

    DANGER AHEAD! DANGER AHEAD! DANGER AHEAD!
    by VERY careful with rm -rf! Especially if you are a
    beginner! best way to do it without shooting oneself in the crotch is
    to use midnight commander (mc) in command line mode and tag the
    offending .directories But... if you REALLY want to.. best way is this
    line
    rm -rfi .*
    which means ask me to confirm erasure of all files/directories, one at
    a time. starting with a '.' meaning if there is one you DON't want
    zapped you call tell it NOT to zap it. This is a very good idea
    especially if you forget you are in root mode or accidently are in the
    wrong directory, it happens even to the best of us. I got bitten by
    this too and I have used Linux since 1997.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  4. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    Michael and Nicole Freeman wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'm a Linux newbie. I installed Linux (Debian Etch) on my old 350MHz G3
    > slot-load iMac because OS 9 software was getting too outdated to be
    > really useful anymore, but I didn't want to shell out the cash for OS X
    > only to risk my system not being quite up to running it. I've really
    > come to enjoy and appreciate Linux (aside from a couple things - support
    > for newer Flash files and the ability to check the ink levels and clean
    > the heads on my Epson 777 printer).
    >
    > One thing I did wrong, I discovered after about a month of use, was
    > that when I installed Linux and re-installed OS 9 (still had a couple
    > Apps I want to run there), I evenly split my stock 7Gb Hard Drive into
    > two ~3.5Gb partitions. I quickly ran out of room on Linux, and after
    > uninstalling unneeded OS 9 software had more than enough space there.
    > The only way I could get the extra space moved over to the Linux
    > partition was to completely re-partition and re-install. I could shrink
    > the MacOS partition, but couldn't increase the size of the Linux
    > partition for some reason.

    it may be a good idea to create an extra linux partition (or two).
    such as home, var, usr/local. you can also symlink back in things
    you copy.

    i have or think I have increased linux partition sizes, however
    just today i hit a place where I couldn't. It could be a bug in
    parted,
    there have been bugs in it before. this too was in Debian-etch, on
    an old g3.

    anyway, i have seen lvm but so far I have been ok without it. right
    now i have a mess and probably the best thing for me to do is
    to back up and reformat the drive. I don't want to if I can avoid it.

    > I wanted to save all the files and settings I had accumulated on Linux,
    > and not understanding the consequences of doing this, I just backed up
    > all the files in my user account Home folder (including hidden files). I
    > re-partitioned and re-installed, got all my software back in place, and
    > copied the files back over to my Home folder - but I was in my root
    > account . Everything in that folder was overwritten but the owner was
    > set to root. It of course wouldn't log into my user account. I did a
    > chown command on the entire folder, and that seemed to have solved the
    > problem, until I ran IceApe and IceWeasel. They crash a *lot* now.
    > Sometimes a specific site crashes it right away. Other times a site will
    > load, but crash when I try to scroll down the page. This doesn't happen
    > in Epiphany - it's very stable, but I don't like Epiphany as well as the
    > others. Also, IceApe's HTML Composer won't load at all, which is new, too.
    >
    > I've tried completely removing both pieces of software, including
    > deleting any and all Mozilla/IceApe/IceWeasel-related files in my Home
    > folder. But, when I re-install them, the problem returns. Any
    > suggestions? Remember, I'm a newbie coming from the heavily GUI'd MacOS,
    > so go easy on me! Thanks!

    you could try creating a new user account and running iceweasel from
    that before you copy anything over. then copy your files selectively.
    i actually have two accounts for myself, i can set up alternative
    environments and also i can use one for more serious projects
    and one for more fun, or experimenting. I use the root account
    too much. you have to use it more in linux but not as much as I do.

    personally I would reccomend at least 4 partitions for those people
    who double boot with old computers especially. leaving the last
    1/4 or third of the disk for extra space if possible because it
    is slower, and linux uses the disk a lot. using an external drive
    for backup as well.

    > Mike Freeman
    > mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  5. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    B'ichela writes:
    > by VERY careful with rm -rf! Especially if you are a
    >beginner! best way to do it without shooting oneself in the crotch is
    >to use midnight commander (mc) in command line mode and tag the
    >offending .directories But... if you REALLY want to.. best way is this
    >line
    >rm -rfi .*
    >which means ask me to confirm erasure of all files/directories, one at
    >a time.

    Any difference from "rm -ri .*"?

    Anyway, I find the -i flag pretty annoying, so what I do instead is to
    write

    echo rm -rf .*

    If the expansion is to my liking, I repeat the command without echo,
    otherwise I copy and edit it's output.

    - anton

  6. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    Hi again,

    Just an update, I've tries all of those suggestions now (rm-ing the
    files, chown which I had done before, and even creating a new user
    account). All of these still result in all of my Mozilla-based browsers
    crashing very often. What surprises me is that even under the completely
    fresh, new user account Iceweasel and IceApe still crash. And while I
    haven't seen it yet, my wife says that she has had Epiphany crash on her
    quite a bit, as well. Other software seems fairly stable (I've had an
    odd random crash or two, but it's extremely rare).

    So, it's not a user account issue, but something else. Does anyone have
    any ideas what to try, as I haven't got any more ideas.

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  7. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    An addition to my last update...

    My root account works fine and doesn't exhibit this problem at all.
    However, any user accounts I create do have this problem. Also, one
    crash that I can recreate consistently is trying to run IceApe's
    composer. Only the root account runs it fine. User accounts try to run
    it, but stop even before a window comes up.

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

    Michael and Nicole Freeman wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > Just an update, I've tries all of those suggestions now (rm-ing the
    > files, chown which I had done before, and even creating a new user
    > account). All of these still result in all of my Mozilla-based browsers
    > crashing very often. What surprises me is that even under the completely
    > fresh, new user account Iceweasel and IceApe still crash. And while I
    > haven't seen it yet, my wife says that she has had Epiphany crash on her
    > quite a bit, as well. Other software seems fairly stable (I've had an
    > odd random crash or two, but it's extremely rare).
    >
    > So, it's not a user account issue, but something else. Does anyone
    > have any ideas what to try, as I haven't got any more ideas.
    >
    > Mike Freeman
    > mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  8. Re: IceApe/IceWeael stability problems - What did I mess up?

    Another update...

    When I run Iceweasel or Iceape from a terminal instead of the desktop,
    the crashes register as segmentation faults in the terminal.

    So, to recap, Iceweasel and Iceape both crash with a segmentation fault
    extremely often and for no apparent reason that I can see. I thought it
    was my poor handling of backing up and restoring files when I
    re-installed my Linux PPC system, but now I'm not so sure. This problem
    only happens with user accounts (even a fresh new one). When logged into
    root, they are both very stable.

    Any help would be appreciated here. Thanks!

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

+ Reply to Thread