Gparted help - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Gparted help - Powerpc ; Hi there! I have an old 350MHz G3 iMac which I decided to run dual-OS with MacOS 9 and Linux. I got it all set up and running well, except that I underestimated the amount of disk space I would ...

  1. Gparted help

    Hi there!

    I have an old 350MHz G3 iMac which I decided to run dual-OS with MacOS
    9 and Linux. I got it all set up and running well, except that I
    underestimated the amount of disk space I would need for the Linux
    system. I have the basic 7Gb drive that came with the computer split
    evenly between the two OS's, but I have lots of space left on the MacOS
    HFS+ partition, but I'm just about out of it on the Linux Ext3 partition.

    Here's the problem: I tried to use gparted with hfsutils to reduce the
    size of the HFS+ partition with the hope of increasing the size of the
    Ext3 partition. The shrinking part worked. I got a bunch of unallocated
    space out of it, but then found that I gparted wouldn't allow me to add
    it to the Ext3 partition because it's the one the active OS is running
    on. Since I couldn't find a MacOS 9 way to do non-destructive partition
    editing, I decided to try making it a FAT32 partition, which I had hoped
    both could read, and I could use it to store documents, music, and
    images accessible to both OS's. Gparted successfully assigned the
    unallocated space as FAT32, but neither OS can mount it.

    Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly new to Linux, so go easy
    on me! I would prefer to have the space given to my Linux partition,
    if possible, because I intend to eventually get rid of MacOS 9
    altogether. The only thing I can't yet do with Linux (beside viewing
    Flash files well - not a huge deal, but would be nice) is read all my
    important AppleWorks .cwk files (no, OpenOffice can't read them, as I've
    seen someone suggest). It'll take me some time transferring them over to
    OpenOffice in a usable format.

    I don't know if any of this is possible. I was under the impression it
    was. Please let me know! Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

    Mike Freeman
    mike [at] freeman-studio [dot] com

  2. Re: Gparted help

    On Sun, 20 May 2007 14:09:54 -0700,
    Michael and Nicole Freeman , in
    <6P24i.16631$AR3.12840@newsfe07.phx> wrote:

    >+ images accessible to both OS's. Gparted successfully assigned the
    >+ unallocated space as FAT32, but neither OS can mount it.

    Of course not. There's no filesystem on the partition.

    >+ Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly new to Linux, so go easy
    >+ on me! I would prefer to have the space given to my Linux partition,
    >+ if possible, because I intend to eventually get rid of MacOS 9
    >+ altogether.

    Hmmmm...well, you need to boot to linux, and lay down a
    filesystem. You can do this from the command line, as root:

    mkdosfs -F 32 -n 'some name' /dev/{disk}{part#}

    You can skip the "-n 'some name'" part, if you don't need to give the
    partition a name.

    Please be absolutely sure what the proper /dev/{disk}{part#} (example:
    /dev/hda5, /dev/sdb2, and so on) is. If you do a "mkdosfs" (or any of
    the other format commands in the mkfs family) on the wrong partition,
    you *will* wipe out all data on that partition.

    >+ The only thing I can't yet do with Linux (beside viewing
    >+ Flash files well - not a huge deal, but would be nice) is read all my
    >+ important AppleWorks .cwk files (no, OpenOffice can't read them, as I've
    >+ seen someone suggest). It'll take me some time transferring them over to
    >+ OpenOffice in a usable format.

    This might be of use to you:

    http://applecommander.sourceforge.net/

    isn't looking good, either.

  3. Re: Gparted help

    In article <6P24i.16631$AR3.12840@newsfe07.phx>, Michael and Nicole Freeman wrote:
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I have an old 350MHz G3 iMac which I decided to run dual-OS with MacOS
    > 9 and Linux. I got it all set up and running well, except that I
    > underestimated the amount of disk space I would need for the Linux
    > system. I have the basic 7Gb drive that came with the computer split
    > evenly between the two OS's, but I have lots of space left on the MacOS
    > HFS+ partition, but I'm just about out of it on the Linux Ext3 partition.

    Sounds like my Imac. Here is how I did it. and to do this.
    BACK it up FIRST! ALL of it! you will need your system Install CDs as
    well.
    After you backed up BOTH OSs.
    1. boot your Mac OS system CD
    go to Drive setup
    make a small HFS+ partition. say 1GB (unless you need more)
    leave the rest of the Disk unallocated
    Initalize this disk
    2. Now restore your backups (you did make those Right?)

    Now for the Linux side.
    Go to your install CDs and install your Operating system. and Yaboot.
    you can now begin to restore your Linux backups after this point.
    Leave the files in /etc alone unless you carefully put them back in
    one by one to make sure you don't create a nightmare. Possibly
    /etc/fstab and yaboot.conf would be two you may want to NOT restore
    without needed changes.

    Of course if you got the green. Get a bigger HD and put it in. or go
    with a external firewire drive. I did the former and it took me awhile
    to get my Imac G3/350 open to put it in, Might was well change the PRAM
    battery too while you are inside. a standard Duracell CR2 1/2 AA fits
    fine and works good. It is a snug fitting battery and won't work
    loose. It has more mAH than the original and given its application
    will probally run your clock/pram for quite a longer time than 10 years!

    Oh btw if you go with firewire.... I don't know if you need to look
    for Oxford 911 chipset based firewire bridgeboards or not. but even
    so you can always boot a external drive by holding down the option key
    when you hear the "bong" hold it down until you see a graphics boot
    menu. it will scan all Firewire/usb/IDE/Network boot drives. Mine has
    the latest firmware and I also boot a USB thumbdrive as well with Mac
    Os 9.2.2 on it! (its my Rescue stick, it aint a CD and it aint a disk
    so a rescue stick it is.)

    The firewire drives can also have a USB 2.0 interface as well so they
    will boot even on the Usb 1.1 port of the Imac. Slow though, but its a
    godsend if you need to sneakernet between PCs and Macs.

    --

    From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org

  4. Re: Gparted help

    On May 22, 5:05 pm, B'ichela wrote:
    > In article <6P24i.16631$AR3.12...@newsfe07.phx>, Michael and Nicole Freeman wrote:> Hi there!
    >
    > > I have an old 350MHz G3 iMac which I decided to run dual-OS with MacOS
    > > 9 and Linux. I got it all set up and running well, except that I
    > > underestimated the amount of disk space I would need for the Linux
    > > system. I have the basic 7Gb drive that came with the computer split
    > > evenly between the two OS's, but I have lots of space left on the MacOS
    > > HFS+ partition, but I'm just about out of it on the Linux Ext3 partition.

    > Sounds like my Imac. Here is how I did it. and to do this.

    I like parted better. Only trouble is macos may not recognize that a
    macos partition
    has changed size exactly. so i don't resize mac partions. i guess i
    have learned the
    hard way and now i keep extra partions on the disk and plenty of free
    space and
    backup too.

    once upon a time DataViz could translate batches of Apple/Claris works
    files into
    other formats. I used to use it for jpeg conversions coming off my
    camera too (pict or
    tiff easier to edit and less dangerous ). can't do it with 0S9 though
    but if you have
    an extra partition for rescue of macos then i use macos8 (if machine
    supports it) and
    i can still use DataViz.

    Although I am sure appleworks is scriptable so not a big deal to
    automate with applescript.

    so what about those abi word and open office formats ? well my
    struggles these days
    around htmlX,Xhtml,sgml,XML, ... ugh. mozilla is cool but sometimes i
    like a simple pager
    that works.

    > BACK it up FIRST! ALL of it! you will need your system Install CDs as
    > well.
    > After you backed up BOTH OSs.
    > 1. boot your Mac OS system CD
    > go to Drive setup
    > make a small HFS+ partition. say 1GB (unless you need more)
    > leave the rest of the Disk unallocated
    > Initalize this disk
    > 2. Now restore your backups (you did make those Right?)
    >
    > Now for the Linux side.
    > Go to your install CDs and install your Operating system. and Yaboot.
    > you can now begin to restore your Linux backups after this point.
    > Leave the files in /etc alone unless you carefully put them back in
    > one by one to make sure you don't create a nightmare. Possibly
    > /etc/fstab and yaboot.conf would be two you may want to NOT restore
    > without needed changes.
    >
    > Of course if you got the green. Get a bigger HD and put it in. or go
    > with a external firewire drive. I did the former and it took me awhile
    > to get my Imac G3/350 open to put it in, Might was well change the PRAM
    > battery too while you are inside. a standard Duracell CR2 1/2 AA fits
    > fine and works good. It is a snug fitting battery and won't work
    > loose. It has more mAH than the original and given its application
    > will probally run your clock/pram for quite a longer time than 10 years!
    >
    > Oh btw if you go with firewire.... I don't know if you need to look
    > for Oxford 911 chipset based firewire bridgeboards or not. but even
    > so you can always boot a external drive by holding down the option key
    > when you hear the "bong" hold it down until you see a graphics boot
    > menu. it will scan all Firewire/usb/IDE/Network boot drives. Mine has
    > the latest firmware and I also boot a USB thumbdrive as well with Mac
    > Os 9.2.2 on it! (its my Rescue stick, it aint a CD and it aint a disk
    > so a rescue stick it is.)
    >
    > The firewire drives can also have a USB 2.0 interface as well so they
    > will boot even on the Usb 1.1 port of the Imac. Slow though, but its a
    > godsend if you need to sneakernet between PCs and Macs.
    >
    > --
    >
    > From the Desk of the Sysop of:
    > Planet Maca's Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org
    > Web Site:http://pinkrose.dhis.org, Dialup 860-618-3091 300-33600 bps
    > The New Cnews maintainer
    > B'ichela

  5. Re: Gparted help

    oh, i forgot my favorite tool.

    that is pdisk for macos8-9. it came from mklinux but the newest
    version is of netbsd.

    if you have an Empty macos partition you can delete it
    and create for instance one linux partition and one macos.
    when you reboot macos will ask you to initialize the mac
    partion. you have to mkfs of the linux partition in linux.

    then you can move as you will /home, /usr/local, whatever to
    your new linux partition.

    the dos partition sounds like a bright idea. except for me
    its no good as I boycott all things microsoft.

+ Reply to Thread