On the following hardware I experienced some nasty problems in Linux:

PowerMac G3 DT, 2nd rev. Gossamer board, 300MHz G3 CPU
Asus PCI1394-S Firewire card with TI 21A6CHT TSB43AB22 chip
(and also a RT8139C network card and Opti USB card)

The system works just nicely in OS9, firewire devices are detected and
mounted correctly.

With Linux 2.6.18 (compiled from debian source tree) I experience
freezes, kernel panics or severe slow downs (one can see individual
lines drawn to the frame buffer then), sometimes kernel complains about
lost interrupts.

Does anyone reading here have similar experiences or knows of a working
Firewire-card? I appreciate any input since I can't verify wether Linux
ohci1394 driver is buggy or the Asus card is flakey and MacOS9 just
doesn't exercise it enough.

Thomas Jahns
--
"Computers are good at following instructions,
but not at reading your mind."