help a noob, please - Powerpc

This is a discussion on help a noob, please - Powerpc ; I am running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Blue and White G3. During boot, the display shows what is being installed and if it's "ok" or "failed." There are two cases of "failed" but the screen is scrolling so fast ...

  1. help a noob, please

    I am running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Blue and White G3.

    During boot, the display shows what is being installed and if it's "ok"
    or "failed."

    There are two cases of "failed" but the screen is scrolling so fast i
    can't tell what it is.

    Does the machine keep a log of the most recent boot that might tell me
    what didn't install correctly or whether it is even matters or not?

    One of them looks like it has to do with RAID and since i don't have a
    RAID setup i assume it's no problem. The other, however, goes by so
    fast I can't read it.

    can anyone help with this?

    Thanks,

    Joe

  2. Re: help a noob, please

    on Friday 20 April 2007 09:45 pm, BJD@Takoma.com (Blind Joe Death) wrote:

    > I am running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Blue and White G3.
    >
    > During boot, the display shows what is being installed and if it's "ok"
    > or "failed."
    >
    > There are two cases of "failed" but the screen is scrolling so fast i
    > can't tell what it is.
    >
    > Does the machine keep a log of the most recent boot that might tell me
    > what didn't install correctly or whether it is even matters or not?
    >
    > One of them looks like it has to do with RAID and since i don't have a
    > RAID setup i assume it's no problem. The other, however, goes by so
    > fast I can't read it.
    >
    > can anyone help with this?

    Normally, logging messages that you see on the screen during boot are
    also found in /var/log/messages. You need to be 'root' user to view it
    though. Additionally, you can try the 'dmesg | more' and see if anything
    looks goofy (any message that says failed)

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Joe

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  3. Re: help a noob, please

    In article <2178470.i3kofxAl8W@unix.hobbeshollow.com>, Jerry Heyman
    wrote:

    > on Friday 20 April 2007 09:45 pm, BJD@Takoma.com (Blind Joe Death) wrote:
    >
    > > I am running Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my Blue and White G3.
    > >
    > > During boot, the display shows what is being installed and if it's "ok"
    > > or "failed."
    > >
    > > There are two cases of "failed" but the screen is scrolling so fast i
    > > can't tell what it is.
    > >
    > > Does the machine keep a log of the most recent boot that might tell me
    > > what didn't install correctly or whether it is even matters or not?
    > >
    > > One of them looks like it has to do with RAID and since i don't have a
    > > RAID setup i assume it's no problem. The other, however, goes by so
    > > fast I can't read it.
    > >
    > > can anyone help with this?

    > Normally, logging messages that you see on the screen during boot are
    > also found in /var/log/messages. You need to be 'root' user to view it
    > though. Additionally, you can try the 'dmesg | more' and see if anything
    > looks goofy (any message that says failed)
    >

    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Joe

    > jerry

    thank you.