I recently upgraded my X server to Xorg 7.1.1 (Debian Etch), and now
have finally satisfyingly solved the longstanding problem of how to
get the internal display mirrored on the external display even if the
external display is not connected on starting the X server, or if the
external display does not do DDC (many of the projectors I use don't).
You can read postings about my earlier attempts (with 6.8.2) in these
postings: <2005Oct14.184009@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
<2006Mar12.105804@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>

The most important part was definitely the upgrade to 7.1.1. However,
I still had to play around with the xorg.conf file in order to get
this to work. Finally, the working configuration contains the
following section:

Section "Device"
Identifier "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV250 5c63 [Radeon Mobility 9200 M9+]"
Driver "radeon"
#untested:
# Option "DesktopSetup" "0x00000100"
BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
Option "UseFBDev" "false"
Option "GARTSize" "16"
Option "ColorTiling" "on"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
Option "MonitorLayout" "LVDS,CRT"
Option "MergedFB" "true"
Option "CRT2Hsync" "30-50"
Option "CRT2VRefresh" "59-73"
Option "MetaModes" "1024x768-1024x768"
# Option "CRT2Position" "Clone"
EndSection

You can find my complete xorg.conf file in
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/ant...k-g4-xorg7.1.1

The options from GARTSize to AGPMode are there to get good glxgears
numbers:-) and probably don't contribute to the question at hand. The
UseFBDev and everything starting from MonitorLayout have to do with
getting the clone mode to work even without DDC from the external
monitor. I considered telling X the lack of DDC through some option
(NoDDC was mentioned in a description for another option in the radeon
driver man page), but it works even without that.

- anton