Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release 27 March 2007 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release 27 March 2007 - Powerpc ; TERRA SOFT RELEASES YDL v5.0.1 FOR APPLE POWERPC LOVELAND, Colorado - 27 March 2007 - Terra Soft today released Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 for Apple G3, G4, and G5 computers. Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 adds greater than 500 package updates ...

  1. Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release 27 March 2007

    TERRA SOFT RELEASES YDL v5.0.1 FOR APPLE POWERPC

    LOVELAND, Colorado - 27 March 2007 - Terra Soft today released Yellow
    Dog
    Linux v5.0.1 for Apple G3, G4, and G5 computers. Yellow Dog Linux
    v5.0.1 adds
    greater than 500 package updates to the next generation Linux
    operating
    system released last fall for the Sony Computer Entertainment
    PLAYSTATION(R)3
    with support for the former Apple PowerPC product line.

    Built upon Fedora Core 5/6, YDL v5.0.1 integrates the "E17" desktop to
    provide
    an unprecedented level of function and interface aesthetic. Designed
    for
    users of all ages and all levels of experience, Yellow Dog Linux
    v5.0.1 gives
    new life to displaced Power Macs.

    Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 offers:
    - Support for Apple PowerPC G3, G4, G5 systems.
    - USB storage, USB camera, & FireWire auto-mount.
    - 802.11b Airport auto-configuration.
    - 802.11g Airport Extreme (requires configuration).
    - PCMCIA card wi-fi support (requires configuration).
    - Audio support for all tested machines.
    - E17 installed by default.

    The 535 new or updated packages over v5.0 will this week be made
    available for
    existing v5.0 PS3 installations via the public mirrors.

    The YDL installer enables anyone to install without instruction. Post-
    install,
    the default application set includes the Firefox web browser,
    Thunderbird
    email client, OpenOffice, and a suite of personal accessories,
    development
    tools; sound & video, internet, and networking applications:
    http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/pr...ydl/apps.shtml

    The web browser home page offers a tutorial to E17 and Yellow Dog
    Linux:
    http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/su...configuration/

    Yellow Dog Linux v5.0.1 is immediately available via YDL.net Enhanced
    accounts
    which may be purchased on-line:
    http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/store/

    The physical DVD sets will ship from Terra Soft in 2 weeks. The public
    mirrors
    will offer v5.0.1 downloads in one month.

    About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
    As the recognized leader in Linux for Power since 1999, Terra Soft
    provides
    turn-key, integrated solutions built upon IBM, Mercury, and Sony
    systems,
    board support packages for Power OEMs, and cross-architecture Linux
    applications for high performance computing. Terra Soft develops
    Yellow Dog
    Linux, the leading 32/64-bit Linux OS for the Power architecture,
    first to
    market with support for the Cell processor; the Y-HPC cross-
    architecture
    cluster construction suite; and Y-Bio, a cross-architecture gene
    sequence
    analysis suite for both workstations and clusters.

    For more information, visit www.terrasoftsolutions.com

    "Power Mac" is a registered trademark of Apple Computer. PLAYSTATION
    and PS3
    are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "Power"
    is a
    trademark of IBM. YDL, Y-HPC, and Y-Bio are trademarks of Terra Soft
    Solutions. "Linux" is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds.
    Additional
    product and company names mentioned may be trademarks and/or
    registered
    trademarks of their respective holders.

    From: http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...ch/000149.html

  2. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Hi,

    尼古拉 wrote :
    > TERRA SOFT RELEASES YDL v5.0.1 FOR APPLE POWERPC
    > From: http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...ch/000149.html

    I both have a PS3 (60Go & WiFi) and a dual-G4@1.25GHz / OSX.3.9
    I hope I will be able to install Yellow Dog Linux on my Power Mac,
    to cross-develop for the PS3 plus Cell CPU. The thing is the PS3
    only having 256Mb of memory, I would rather benefit from the
    Macintosh running YDL, to be used as a devel platform for the PS3.

    I wish it can be done easily. But furthermore, I wish to integrate
    my Linux (YDL) programs into GameOS environment. Is there somebody
    who already experienced the cross-development for the PS3 with a PPC
    machine, and transferring the produced application to the Operating
    System of the PS3 machine, that wouldn't necessarily be installed
    with Linux ? A PS3 machine that would only run the original OS ?

    Thanks for any advice.

    Best regards,

    -- François LE COAT
    Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)

  3. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release 27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > 尼古拉 wrote :
    > > TERRA SOFT RELEASES YDL v5.0.1 FOR APPLE POWERPC
    > > From: http://lists.terrasoftsolutions.com/...ch/000149.html

    > I both have a PS3 (60Go & WiFi) and a dual-G4@1.25GHz / OSX.3.9
    > I hope I will be able to install Yellow Dog Linux on my Power Mac,
    > to cross-develop for the PS3 plus Cell CPU. The thing is the PS3
    > only having 256Mb of memory, I would rather benefit from the
    > Macintosh running YDL, to be used as a devel platform for the PS3.

    that was the first concern on my mind, telling me to wait on buying
    a ps3, maybe in the next revision they might support more RAM.
    But I am not sure if already people are talking ways to work around
    it or claiming to. do you know any details about that ? Was it the
    SONY
    limitation, somehow ? Some of the old Powermacs can now take
    much more RAM than apple ever supported officially. it was higher
    density of a low profile card on my G3 that did it.

    anyway if you have less experience with linux than with macos, be
    aware that many ways linux can need less ram than macos. however
    for building software packages i have heard lately some do want like
    1GB RAM. again maybe there is some work around ??

    > I wish it can be done easily. But furthermore, I wish to integrate
    > my Linux (YDL) programs into GameOS environment. Is there somebody
    > who already experienced the cross-development for the PS3 with a PPC
    > machine, and transferring the produced application to the Operating
    > System of the PS3 machine, that wouldn't necessarily be installed
    > with Linux ? A PS3 machine that would only run the original OS ?

    i heard that this was originally sony's intention in supporting linux
    run on ps3 from the start, that they wanted to encourage development
    by supporting this route. so i would suggest you contact them about
    it,
    and/or seriously investigate all their on-line resources.

    > Thanks for any advice.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > -- François LE COAT
    > Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)

  4. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:

    > I both have a PS3 (60Go & WiFi) and a dual-G4@1.25GHz / OSX.3.9
    > I hope I will be able to install Yellow Dog Linux on my Power Mac,
    > to cross-develop for the PS3 plus Cell CPU. The thing is the PS3
    > only having 256Mb of memory, I would rather benefit from the
    > Macintosh running YDL, to be used as a devel platform for the PS3.

    There's an article here:
    where the guy describes how to cross-compile from a PC running Linux.
    You might be able to adopt these same techniques for your requirements.

    > I wish it can be done easily. But furthermore, I wish to integrate
    > my Linux (YDL) programs into GameOS environment. Is there somebody
    > who already experienced the cross-development for the PS3 with a PPC
    > machine, and transferring the produced application to the Operating
    > System of the PS3 machine, that wouldn't necessarily be installed
    > with Linux ? A PS3 machine that would only run the original OS ?

    Since GameOS is proprietary I don't know how likely it is that you'd be
    able to cross-develop from Linux to GameOS, but who knows ?

    Paul

  5. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Hi Paul,

    Thanks for your answer.

    Paul Russell wrote :
    > Francois LE COAT wrote :
    >>
    >> I both have a PS3 (60Gb & WiFi) and a dual-G4@1.25GHz / OSX.3.9
    >> I hope I will be able to install Yellow Dog Linux on my Power Mac,
    >> to cross-develop for the PS3 plus Cell CPU. The thing is the PS3
    >> only having 256Mb of memory, I would rather benefit from the
    >> Macintosh running YDL, to be used as a devel platform for the PS3.

    > There's an article here:
    > where the guy describes how to cross-compile from a PC running Linux.
    > You might be able to adopt these same techniques for your requirements.

    I'll have a close look at this WEB site.

    I'd rather wait that YDL will be released for PPC machines to make
    my mind about what kind of Cell cross-tools are delivered with it.

    I suspect it'll give more than a simple compiler, and that it will
    allow to fully develop applications for the PS3 system.

    >> I wish it can be done easily. But furthermore, I wish to integrate
    >> my Linux (YDL) programs into GameOS environment. Is there somebody
    >> who already experienced the cross-development for the PS3 with a PPC
    >> machine, and transferring the produced application to the Operating
    >> System of the PS3 machine, that wouldn't necessarily be installed
    >> with Linux ? A PS3 machine that would only run the original OS ?

    > Since GameOS is proprietary I don't know how likely it is that you'd be
    > able to cross-develop from Linux to GameOS, but who knows ?

    A scientific application from the Stanford Institute was already
    included in GameOS, called "Folding@home" to help the analysis of
    molecular structures, giving spared CPU time to the project.

    I'm interested in this kind of development that would run on my PS3.
    And available information required to build additional applications.

    Best regards,

    -- Franois LE COAT
    Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)

  6. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:

    > I'd rather wait that YDL will be released for PPC machines to make
    > my mind about what kind of Cell cross-tools are delivered with it.

    YDL has always been available for PPC machines (Apple and IBM). Only the
    PS3 distribution is new.

    Paul

  7. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:

    > I'm sure that 256Mb of RAM is enough for any usage of the PS3. The
    > thing is that it may not be enough to use it as a devel platform.

    It depends how you want to do your development. If you edit on a PC or
    Mac and use an editor which supports SFTP then you can work on source
    code in whichever environment you prefer, and then just keep a terminal
    session open via ssh so that you can type "make" or whatever. Without a
    graphical environment running on the PS3 256 Mb should be fine for
    compiling etc.

    > Installing YDL on a PS3 requires a full HD screen. What is not the
    > case of the PPC cross-devel platform, running YDL, that only requires
    > a good resolution monitor, with no need of HD DRM support.

    No - you can just use a DVI monitor if you like.

    Paul

  8. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Hi Paul,

    Paul Russell wrote :
    > Francois LE COAT wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm sure that 256Mb of RAM is enough for any usage of the PS3. The
    >> thing is that it may not be enough to use it as a devel platform.

    > It depends how you want to do your development. If you edit on a PC or
    > Mac and use an editor which supports SFTP then you can work on source
    > code in whichever environment you prefer, and then just keep a terminal
    > session open via ssh so that you can type "make" or whatever. Without a
    > graphical environment running on the PS3 256 Mb should be fine for
    > compiling etc.

    But just installing YDL 5 on a PS3 requires that you display
    with a HDMI signal cable.

    >> Installing YDL on a PS3 requires a full HD screen. What is not the
    >> case of the PPC cross-devel platform, running YDL, that only requires
    >> a good resolution monitor, with no need of HD DRM support.

    > No - you can just use a DVI monitor if you like.

    It won't display anything but a complete black screen through the
    HDMI-DVI cable, if the screen is not 'HD Ready' or 'full HD'. That
    mean that the display device doesn't have a HDCP decoding chip (HD DRM).

    You may read the following installing guide for PS3

    If you don't know it yet.

    Best regards,

    -- Franois LE COAT
    Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
    http://eureka.atari.org/

  9. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Paul Russell wrote :
    >> Francois LE COAT wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure that 256Mb of RAM is enough for any usage of the PS3. The
    >>> thing is that it may not be enough to use it as a devel platform.

    >> It depends how you want to do your development. If you edit on a PC or
    >> Mac and use an editor which supports SFTP then you can work on source
    >> code in whichever environment you prefer, and then just keep a
    >> terminal session open via ssh so that you can type "make" or whatever.
    >> Without a graphical environment running on the PS3 256 Mb should be
    >> fine for compiling etc.

    > But just installing YDL 5 on a PS3 requires that you display
    > with a HDMI signal cable.
    >
    >>> Installing YDL on a PS3 requires a full HD screen. What is not the
    >>> case of the PPC cross-devel platform, running YDL, that only requires
    >>> a good resolution monitor, with no need of HD DRM support.

    >> No - you can just use a DVI monitor if you like.

    > It won't display anything but a complete black screen through the
    > HDMI-DVI cable, if the screen is not 'HD Ready' or 'full HD'. That
    > mean that the display device doesn't have a HDCP decoding chip (HD DRM).
    >

    > You may read the following installing guide for PS3
    >

    > If you don't know it yet.

    Well I didn't actually install YDL on my PS3 - a colleague did it for
    me. But he did it with a HDMI-DVI cable and a DVI monitor and apparently
    had no problems.

    Paul

  10. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Hi Paul,

    Paul Russell wrote :
    > Francois LE COAT wrote:
    >> Paul Russell wrote :

    >>> It depends how you want to do your development. If you edit on a PC
    >>> or Mac and use an editor which supports SFTP then you can work on
    >>> source code in whichever environment you prefer, and then just keep a
    >>> terminal session open via ssh so that you can type "make" or
    >>> whatever. Without a graphical environment running on the PS3 256 Mb
    >>> should be fine for compiling etc.

    >> But just installing YDL 5 on a PS3 requires that you display
    >> with a HDMI signal cable.

    >>> No - you can just use a DVI monitor if you like.

    >> It won't display anything but a complete black screen through the
    >> HDMI-DVI cable, if the screen is not 'HD Ready' or 'full HD'. That
    >> mean that the display device doesn't have a HDCP decoding chip (HD DRM).
    >>

    >> You may read the following installing guide for PS3
    >>

    >> If you don't know it yet.

    > Well I didn't actually install YDL on my PS3 - a colleague did it for
    > me. But he did it with a HDMI-DVI cable and a DVI monitor and apparently
    > had no problems.

    The signal that is produced by the PS3 is transmitted with a
    HDMI wire cable that can be plugged through a DVI-D link to
    the computer's display. But it requires that the HD signal be
    decoded from the HDCP, a DRM HD protection.

    My own display is 1680x1050, so it would fit to HD signal of
    the PS3. That's why I bought this display. But here it is :

    If I want to plug it to the PS3, I should have bought :

    that is even cheaper, because it has a HDCP DRM decoder.

    Screens are almost similar, both having DVI and VGA connexions,
    but the second one handles HDMI signal from the PS3 with its
    DVI-D entry.

    My PS3 is currently linked with the first screen with the RCA
    composite cable, giving a SD display like on a conventional
    TV (not HD TV). When I plug the HDMI-DVI cable, it would show
    a dark screen. I can't display HD without HDCP decoding.

    The screen is rather suitable for my dual-G4 on which I chose
    to install YDL 5 to perform cross devels for the PS3. When it'll
    be released.

    Best regards,

    -- Franois LE COAT
    Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
    http://eureka.atari.org/

  11. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Francois LE COAT wrote:

    > The signal that is produced by the PS3 is transmitted with a
    > HDMI wire cable that can be plugged through a DVI-D link to
    > the computer's display. But it requires that the HD signal be
    > decoded from the HDCP, a DRM HD protection.
    >
    > My own display is 1680x1050, so it would fit to HD signal of
    > the PS3. That's why I bought this display. But here it is :
    >

    > If I want to plug it to the PS3, I should have bought :
    >

    > that is even cheaper, because it has a HDCP DRM decoder.
    >
    > Screens are almost similar, both having DVI and VGA connexions,
    > but the second one handles HDMI signal from the PS3 with its
    > DVI-D entry.
    >
    > My PS3 is currently linked with the first screen with the RCA
    > composite cable, giving a SD display like on a conventional
    > TV (not HD TV). When I plug the HDMI-DVI cable, it would show
    > a dark screen. I can't display HD without HDCP decoding.
    >
    > The screen is rather suitable for my dual-G4 on which I chose
    > to install YDL 5 to perform cross devels for the PS3. When it'll
    > be released.

    I think that HDCP is only active when you're playing protected media -
    it shouldn't make any difference when you're running YDL.

    Note also that you can use component video for YDL. The only real
    limititation is resolution - SD just doesn't cut it.

    Paul

  12. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release27 March 2007

    Hi Paul,

    Paul Russell wrote :
    > Francois LE COAT wrote:
    >
    >> The signal that is produced by the PS3 is transmitted with a
    >> HDMI wire cable that can be plugged through a DVI-D link to
    >> the computer's display. But it requires that the HD signal be
    >> decoded from the HDCP, a DRM HD protection.
    >>
    >> My own display is 1680x1050, so it would fit to HD signal of
    >> the PS3. That's why I bought this display. But here it is :
    >>

    >> If I want to plug it to the PS3, I should have bought :
    >>

    >> that is even cheaper, because it has a HDCP DRM decoder.
    >>
    >> Screens are almost similar, both having DVI and VGA connexions,
    >> but the second one handles HDMI signal from the PS3 with its
    >> DVI-D entry.
    >>
    >> My PS3 is currently linked with the first screen with the RCA
    >> composite cable, giving a SD display like on a conventional
    >> TV (not HD TV). When I plug the HDMI-DVI cable, it would show
    >> a dark screen. I can't display HD without HDCP decoding.
    >>
    >> The screen is rather suitable for my dual-G4 on which I chose
    >> to install YDL 5 to perform cross devels for the PS3. When it'll
    >> be released.

    > I think that HDCP is only active when you're playing protected media -
    > it shouldn't make any difference when you're running YDL.

    Unfortunately, it makes a difference, so far as I know, because
    the DRM protection is a hardware protection. That means the
    HDMI signal is physically encoded with HDCP, when it's output
    from the PS3.

    I even read that there's some device that decode HDCP, but it is
    considered as piracy to decode such a signal. That means devices
    that can display HDMI signal, should all embed a HDCP chip, that
    prevent from piracy copying the HD signal from the PS3, connecting
    it to a recorder.

    > Note also that you can use component video for YDL.

    As it is said in the documentation, screens that are convenient
    either have a HDMI connectivity, or 5 RCA component video cable.

    My DELL display hasn't such inputs, and so far as I know, no
    monitors have these inputs, except expensive HD TV screens.

    > The only real limititation is resolution - SD just doesn't cut it.

    Taking account of DRM for HD. Not for SD. So my 20" DELL is not
    suitable to display the signal from the PS3. I had to make my mind.

    Best regards,

    -- Franois LE COAT
    Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
    http://eureka.atari.org/

  13. Re: Terra Soft Released YDL v5.0.1 for Apple PowerPC -- Press Release 27 March 2007

    On Apr 13, 8:59 am, Francois LE COAT wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > tortoise wrote :
    >
    > > Paul Russell wrote:
    > >> Francois LE COAT wrote:

    > > also i am hoping debian will figure out how to boot on ps3 they
    > > say they are working on it.

    > Really ? Debian 4.0 just been released ...

    well Debian "release" means that the formerly development
    platform Etch becomes "stable" and the present development
    is going on in Sid (unstable), and Lenny is now alpha (testing).

    that is the debian scheme, of open source development, a lot
    of people always running Sid or at least having a Sid installed.
    its a little less necessary/safe now i guess since it is early in
    the release cycle.

    > I'm sure that 256Mb of RAM is enough for any usage of the PS3.

    I'm not sure about that. Especially not if you consider it as an
    open box, Linux system as much as a commercial game os machine.

    the boundaries between programmers, administrators, and users
    not so clear cut there.

    > thing is that it may not be enough to use it as a devel platform.
    >
    > That's why I think about using my dual-G4 running YDL 5.x for this
    > purpose. It also will not require that I buy a DRM free display
    > device. Because I just bought a 20" 16/10 DELL HD screen (close to
    > the Apple Cinema Display screen) that doesn't handle HDCP decoding
    > through the HDMI-DVI cable. That is not fundamentally required for
    > using the PS3 for experimenting new home made applications.
    >
    > Installing YDL on a PS3 requires a full HD screen. What is not the
    > case of the PPC cross-devel platform, running YDL, that only requires
    > a good resolution monitor, with no need of HD DRM support.

    well I am glad you guys had that discussion because i had no
    idea all that was an issue. I guess I will just stick with the old
    macs
    for a few more years then.

+ Reply to Thread