Embedded Linux getting started - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Embedded Linux getting started - Powerpc ; I am a newbie to Linux (after short embedded Linux course) although I have a lot of experience on embedded systems OS(Vxworks, PSOS, etc.). I haven't decided for sure which Linux. Can somebody recommend me some books or pointers to ...

  1. Embedded Linux getting started

    I am a newbie to Linux (after short embedded Linux course) although I have
    a lot of experience on embedded systems OS(Vxworks, PSOS, etc.). I haven't
    decided for sure which Linux.
    Can somebody recommend me some books or pointers to start with Linux.

    Martin Roth

  2. Re: Embedded Linux getting started

    If you're actively involved in getting Linux working on an embedded
    system, I'd certainly recommend getting hold of a copy of "Building
    Embedded Linux System, Karim Yaghmour" available as a free download and
    published by O'Reilly.

    martin roth wrote:
    > I am a newbie to Linux (after short embedded Linux course) although I have
    > a lot of experience on embedded systems OS(Vxworks, PSOS, etc.). I haven't
    > decided for sure which Linux.
    > Can somebody recommend me some books or pointers to start with Linux.
    >
    > Martin Roth

  3. Re: Embedded Linux getting started

    martin roth wrote:

    > I am a newbie to Linux (after short embedded Linux course) although
    > I have a lot of experience on embedded systems OS(Vxworks, PSOS,
    > etc.). I haven't decided for sure which Linux.
    > Can somebody recommend me some books or pointers to start with Linux.

    See these:

    Basically, once you have the suitable tools installed, a single "make"
    command can build the whole cross-compile toolkit _AND_ a complete Linux
    distribution, with kernel, apps, libs, filesystem images, and, finally,
    a ready-to-flash image for your target device. (That's how it works for
    the Dreambox set-top boxes [1], for example.)

    _____

    [1]

    --
    znark