unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II - Powerpc

This is a discussion on unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II - Powerpc ; Hi everybody, I'm trying to boot Debian sarge 3.1 rc4 on an elderly Motorola Powerstack II 604e (PReP/Utah). According to the Debian pages, this system should be supported. I downloaded the current floppy images and the CD #1, but I ...

  1. unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II

    Hi everybody,

    I'm trying to boot Debian sarge 3.1 rc4 on an elderly Motorola Powerstack
    II 604e (PReP/Utah). According to the Debian pages, this system should be
    supported.

    I downloaded the current floppy images and the CD #1, but I can't boot
    from any of these. Booting from floppy results in "unable to load disk
    label", booting from CD outputs "could not load bootable image"
    or something to that effect.

    Any ideas on that?

    TIA
    Matthias
    --
    You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it
    turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

  2. Re: unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II

    In Matthias Koch-Schirrmeister writes:

    >Hi everybody,

    >I'm trying to boot Debian sarge 3.1 rc4 on an elderly Motorola Powerstack
    >II 604e (PReP/Utah). According to the Debian pages, this system should be
    >supported.

    I didn't try sarge, but managed to install woody on mine, yes.

    >I downloaded the current floppy images and the CD #1, but I can't boot
    >from any of these. Booting from floppy results in "unable to load disk
    >label", booting from CD outputs "could not load bootable image"
    >or something to that effect.

    >Any ideas on that?

    I never got it booting from CD. The floppies should work, though. I still
    have a working woody images lying around.
    But your best bet is to set up a tftp-server and try netbooting. I've
    install-tested some beta etch images that way, which worked partly.
    I planned on testing some more last weekend, because the bug which
    prevented the install should have been fixed, but RL got me distracted.

    HTH,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Cauchemar (Opération S)

  3. Re: unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II

    Am Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:16:09 +0000 schrieb Ulrich.Teichert:

    > But your best bet is to set up a tftp-server and try netbooting.

    People from the Debian mailinglist advised this. I'll try it next. Strange
    behaviour, anyway.

    Matthias
    --
    You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it
    turns out that God hates all the same people you do.
    - Anne Lamott

  4. Re: unable to boot Motorola Powerstack II

    In Matthias Koch-Schirrmeister writes:

    >Am Tue, 19 Dec 2006 21:16:09 +0000 schrieb Ulrich.Teichert:

    >> But your best bet is to set up a tftp-server and try netbooting.

    >People from the Debian mailinglist advised this. I'll try it next. Strange
    >behaviour, anyway.

    That you can't boot from the debian installation CD? Well, the format the
    powerstack expects is very specific - even when you can boot other prep-
    systems like a RS/6000 140p from the CD, that does not mean it'll boot
    a powerstack. I've never seen a spec about the format, either.....

    CU,
    Uli
    --
    Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de
    Stormweg 24 |listening to: Cauchemar (Opération S)
    24539 Neumuenster, Germany|Good Looks, Big Deal (Sweatmaster)

+ Reply to Thread