linux newbie... - Powerpc

This is a discussion on linux newbie... - Powerpc ; Hi, While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm ...

  1. linux newbie...

    Hi,
    While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....

    I'm not too picky about complex installation/configs, but for my mom,
    it would have to be pretty basic, give her a simple to use desktop,
    TCP/IP, word processing, etc...

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: linux newbie...

    vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    > While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    > experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    > some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    > distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    > give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....
    >
    > I'm not too picky about complex installation/configs, but for my mom,
    > it would have to be pretty basic, give her a simple to use desktop,
    > TCP/IP, word processing, etc...
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    Mostly, you have described GNU/Linux! go to http://livecdlist.com and
    in the search menu, input "ppc" and you will get the return of a dozen
    Live CDroms you can choose from.

    My thrill is that I get FREE X86 based computers from curbside, and on
    any that are over 300 mhz in cpu speed, install http://PCLinuxOS.com for
    kids, schools, etc.

    GNU/Linux makes those X86 PCs run upto 50X faster than they did under
    the Felon Microsoft crapware.

    On my Macs, GNU/Linux runs as fast as Mac OS X, because much of their
    code is equivalently apt. Well written code is a pleasure to use!

    Ubuntu is said to be good on Macs. Haven't tried it yet. Yellow Dog...

  3. Re: linux newbie...

    Patrick wrote in message <458e7e7c$0$16686$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    >> some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    >> distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    >> give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....
    >> Steve

    > Ubuntu is said to be good on Macs. Haven't tried it yet. Yellow Dog...

    I helped someone installing ubuntu on a mac laptop last year, and it
    worked well. Ubuntu is rather easy to use. I would recommend it.

    bli

  4. Re: linux newbie...

    On 2006-12-27 13:28:05 -0500, Blaise Li said:

    > Patrick wrote in message <458e7e7c$0$16686$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    >> vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    >>> some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    >>> distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    >>> give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....
    >>> Steve

    >> Ubuntu is said to be good on Macs. Haven't tried it yet. Yellow Dog...

    > I helped someone installing ubuntu on a mac laptop last year, and it
    > worked well. Ubuntu is rather easy to use. I would recommend it.

    I've got Ubuntu on a G3 700 ibook right now. I'm not getting any joy
    from it though. I'm thinking CruxPPC next. The major linux distro's
    are getting really too bloated for older hardware. I may have to roll
    my own.

    coldfire

  5. Re: linux newbie...

    On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:37:31 -0500,
    coldfire , in
    <45b4e849$0$5321$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com> wrote:

    >+ I've got Ubuntu on a G3 700 ibook right now. I'm not getting any joy
    >+ from it though. I'm thinking CruxPPC next. The major linux distro's
    >+ are getting really too bloated for older hardware. I may have to roll
    >+ my own.

    *cough*

    Debian allows you to install what you want. It can range from about
    700MB to 7 GB, depending on how much stuff you want. I'll go out on a
    limb and guess you can get level of control with Gentoo. There's
    really no reason to roll your own. Unless the reason is "because I
    want to".

    In terms of performance in your X display, you'll probably want
    something like fluxbox instead of KDE or GNOME. And you can still run
    the KDE and GNOME apps.

    isn't looking good, either.